Tell us about your first time...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On my first open water check out dive the weather was rough, the waves were high and there was strong surge. We had a long surface swim out to a line and buoy and the instructor told us to hang on to the line and not to let go. I felt like i was nuts for even putting myself in such a scary position. Up to that day I'd never even been out past my depth before in the sea. Then of course there had to be an incident to freak me out even further, a more experienced diver came to the surface and waved for help, he didn't feel comfortable in the sea conditions and wanted out! I really wanted out then but I stuck it out, made sure I was first down the descent line to get away from the face slapping waves and discovered that underwater was definitely the place I wanted to be. So that was my introduction to scuba diving, but maybe it was a good thing to start with the bad stuff because It has only gotten better and I know now I can handle it- but talk about a baptism of fire.

Back
Top Bottom