Tell us about your 50th Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

May 21, 2016 - at our local mudhole, the Breakwater in Monterey. It was my first time diving with @sea_otter :) Documented here on my diving blog that I'm really behind on updating.

Hey, that was the day you taught me the names of several nudibranch species! Now after reef check, can you teach me to ID rockfish too? :)

This question is harder than it seems. The dive that I logged as #50 was really an extension of dive #49. The occasion was a liveaboard trip out of San Diego, on which I was using my brand-new OS Systems "Dolphin" drysuit; the location was somewhere off San Clemente Island, due south of Catalina. On the first dive, I made an abortive 12-minute plunge to 58', where my buddy's regulator free-flowed. We surfaced, I ditched him for another buddy with functioning gear, and my new buddy and I descended for a 31-minute dive to 54'.

*sigh* I wish I had more data and could describe the dive better (kelp or rock bottom? fish? viz?), but my logbook on this trip is woefully incomplete. About all that I recall from that trip is being agog over the trip organizer's daughter. Ehrmagerd, ehrmagerd, ehrmagerd...

My 50th dive was today at the local quarry. Nothing special, chased the Bluegill and watched the catfish whilst working on trim and my hovering. 46 minutes at 24 feet in 70 degree water. It was fun!

23 April 2000 Shark Mooring Anenomie Bay North Solitary Island NSW
depth 23 M time 51 Minutes Temp 24C Sharkskin suit 11L Aluminium tank

Dived with thanksforallthefish (hubby) and a group of friends we did a lot of diving with at the time. One was a good photographer and took a couple pics on the dive. He had them blown up and framed. He gave them to us as a house warming gift as we had just moved into our house. They still have pride of place in the Kitchen/dining room.

Anenomie Bay is well named. It is carpeted with Ananomie and their resident fish. Masses of them! We also saw dwarf lionfish, a huge Black Cod, Wobbegong Sharks lots of Wrasse of various types and Stg Majors.

Anenomie Bay is quite well protected by the island. I was too inexperienced with boats at the time to be very afraid. My dive buddied kindly didn't tell me how scared they were till we got to shore after 45 minutes in a tinnie. My note says 2+M seas. I remember the waves were hitting like someone was throwing buckets of water onto me.

We didn't go out the next day and we found out the Dive Operator had "exceeded their charter" for the type of boat by going out in those conditions. Live an learn but the dive was great!

I will come back to this thread in about a month. Will be Aquacatting on my 50th.

My 50th dive happened during my trip to Philippines last November. I was not quite sure which dive it was exactly, so I had to check my log book for that. It happened to be at the site "Running Sushi", somewhere between El Nido and Coron (Palawan). Lots of fishes, lots of colours. Great dive! Below is a picture taken during that dive. I'm hiding behind the red branches :wink:

DSC03222 (2).jpg

Now, of more current interest to me is my next one: it's going to be my 100th dive!

Cozumel San Francisco reef. 150 feet of viz. 64 minutes. 73 feet max depth. .48 sac. My wife dive buddy by my side. Our friend and dm Servando leading the way. Great memory.

My 50th Dive was a few years back on the Lewis F Boyer tug off the coast of New Jersey. Once used to run Alcohol during prohibition and later turned into a floating dentist office. The Dive was used for my PADI boat specialty. 51 degrees at 70', 20-30' viz. New Jersey waters were cold, clean and green. I love my Atlantic ocean dive hole.

My 50th was in July 2004. Was working with a marine archaeologist from Brown University to develop an underwater crime scene recording system based on the techniques used in underwater archaeology. Dive was in Jamestown RI, north east part of the island at the old steamboat dock. 30fsw, 10-12 feet vis.

Back
Top Bottom