Tell me about diving in SoCal!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

naga

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There is a chance i may be moving to the city of angels and as a complete US west coast virgin, i am asking if the enlightened could please enlighten me with an overview of US WC diving ...say from LA to the Mexican border...or maybe a bit north too?

muchas gracias..:D

There is a chance i may be moving to the city of angels and as a complete US west coast virgin, i am asking if the enlightened could please enlighten me with an overview of US WC diving ...say from LA to the Mexican border...or maybe a bit north too?

I have some videos and trip reports:
California, Channel Islands on Vimeo (my videos from the past couple of years)
http://www.rnrscuba.net/Calif_08/CaliforniaTripReport_Aug2008.html

also, check out the website California Scuba Diving BBS forum, news, photos, videos, dive boats, stories, and weather
it has lists of all the dive boats with links to their websites and schedules
also great photo galleries by some local Calif divers
:D

SoCal diving is amazing. Our colder waters are rich with sea life, kelp forests and beautiful reefs. Our boat dives don't have guides so dust off your navigation skills. We have ton's of great shore diving sites as well.

Get a 7mm full suit with an additional hooded vest or a drysuit and join us. There are several clubs and groups to join or just head over to Catalina's dive park and find a willing buddy.

One of the other benefits that come's along with being a SoCal diving regular is that when you do visit a warm water resort and they find out that you regularly dive SoCal, they just let you on the boat, no more questions.:wink:

Here's a short video of last Saturday's dive.

fun video Dave! :D Wish we could have joined you all... but we will be on the GE this coming weekend, as long as the weather holds, and the fires are under control, and that darned hurricane down off Baja.... :cool2:

this will be us on Friday:
[vimeo]1032963[/vimeo]

robin
packing dive gear today! :D

Robin I LOVE that video! I never knew the GE went that fast!

BTW, If you end up diving the Quarry site, I lost a Cressi Reaction fin! I don't care about the fin but I would like the spring strap back! :wink:

Why not let the waters surprise you.... when I enter a new region to dive, I always like to be totally surprised by what I see. I then try to piece the ecological relationships together based on my observations.

If I am diving a new region as a working biologist or educator, I do conduct significant research prior to arrival so I can look intelligent to those listening to me (yes, I know it's a stretch).

Of course another way is to look at all the still images on my web site, or read the 350+ weekly newspaper columns on marine life here... or, better yet, buy my Fish ID and Naturalist DVD. It gives you a quick tour of 165 species of marine critters in our waters for a mere $25 plus tax and shipping.

Just beware of these two weirdos. Last I heard they were perverts who like to pull people's fins off when the owners were caught unaware. That's how Teamcasa lost his fin this last weekend.

IMG_34521.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

Robin I LOVE that video! I never knew the GE went that fast!

BTW, If you end up diving the Quarry site, I lost a Cressi Reaction fin! I don't care about the fin but I would like the spring strap back! :wink:

thanks, will do. Is that site on Catalina? I have never been there. :confused:

this is my first trip with the HD camcorder, woo hoo!!!! Video gear is all packed and ready. Packing dive gear today. :blinking:

I sure hope Jimena stays far away from the area. I really don't want to drive 12 hours to get to the boat and find out that seas are too rough to go out. :shocked2: We leave around 6am on Friday.

robin:D

thanks, will do. Is that site on Catalina? I have never been there. :confused:

this is my first trip with the HD camcorder, woo hoo!!!! Video gear is all packed and ready. Packing dive gear today. :blinking:

I sure hope Jimena stays far away from the area. I really don't want to drive 12 hours to get to the boat and find out that seas are too rough to go out. :shocked2: We leave around 6am on Friday.

robin:D

Yep. Great site for finding the Scythe butterfly fish!
Map of Catalina Island Dive Sites and Locations, Photo

Back
Top Bottom