TEK DIVING: what agency??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, Grazie, PSAI intentionally takes you down to 240 ft (for a very short time) in courses designed to test your ability to handle being narced. I believe that is Level VI in PSAI Narcosis Management course. Of course you take Level III through Level V first. Diving on air, the partial pressure of Oxygen reaches 1.6 at 218 feet, so you are really pushing things below that for extended periods of time. Actually, before there was trimix (not that long ago), people routinely dove on air to deep wrecks like the Andrea Doria. I am going the PSAI route at this time. I have only completed IANTD Adv. Nitrox and Deep Diver, and PSAI Adv. Nitrox Diver. I am scheduled for twin sets and cavern this month at Dive Outpost right before DEMA. I will let you know how it goes, but I think the instructor makes a big difference in what you get out of any of these courses. I find that all of the literature leaves a lot to be desired at this level. I think the best way to find a good instructor is to talk to other technical divers who have actually been through the courses and ask them for names.

Take a look at GUE as well (gue.com). Their training is not for everyone (they push a very specific approach to diving), but it's of very high quality in terms of the skill level they teach and demand. Also they have a whopping 5 instructors in Italy, albeit only two or three of them teach tech courses. The others teach the GUE fundamentals course which is a pre-req for GUE's tech and cave courses.

As for me, I wanted to take GUE's tech-1, but it wasn't available at the time I needed tech training so I went with ANDI. The course was fine - nothing to compare it to.

One of the GUE instructors in Trieste is Steve White, who was my Fundies and Rec Triox instructor. He is just finishing up his instructor training for teaching Tech 1 (this month, actually). He is an excellent instructor and I am quite sure that anybody who takes their technical training from him will be well-taught.

Actually, Grazie, PSAI intentionally takes you down to 240 ft (for a very short time) in courses designed to test your ability to handle being narced. I believe that is Level VI in PSAI Narcosis Management course.

Is it just me, or this course really looks like the last official excuse within the scuba diving community to try deep diving on air and not get frowned upon for doing it?

Haven't tried it though, but looks like an oxymoron there - narcosis management.

One of the GUE instructors in Trieste is Steve White, who was my Fundies and Rec Triox instructor. He is just finishing up his instructor training for teaching Tech 1 (this month, actually). He is an excellent instructor and I am quite sure that anybody who takes their technical training from him will be well-taught.

I would agree with TSandM on this. I recently took a Fundies course with Steve and it was hands down the best class I have ever taken. Not that I have taken many, but it was light years above what I have taken. I don't have any other tech classes to compare it to so I can't recommend it over another, but Steve is a great guy and a great teacher. I can't imagine very many people wouldn't benefit from a class with him.

Good Luck.

Hunter

Before pursuing technical training, I think it is essential to have comfort and facility with drysuit diving, rather than try to master that skill set during the course. Likewise, having experience with doubles diving is highly desirable before beginning the tec training process (although some make the argument that the tec course is what provides the needed initial training in diving doubles). I do not recommend that someone try to set up their doubles rig entirely during the beginning of the course, and dive it for the first time. It is just a lot to try and do. Experience with diving (and air-sharing with) a long hose, deploying lift bags, diving with slung bottles (pony to start, decos in the course) is helpful, and can be practiced BEFORE the course. And, having an attitude that failure to perform with perfection during the course is not only possible but almost guaranteed, is desirable. It is a humbling experience.

This is excellent advice Colliam7 has given you. Definitely practice with your doubles before taking the course. I didn't and I felt...and I'm sure looked...like a fool the first time I jumped in the water with those bad boys! :blush: Lift bag deployment can be dangerous, so start slowly with that one at shallow depths until you get the hang of it and get the advice of someone who has done it successfully. I don't feel as strongly about deco bottles, and the dry suit practice is only important if you are typically diving in an environment where you need one, of course.

I have enjoyed my TDI courses, but I believe it's all about the instructor. A quality, experienced instructor can make a bad curriculum good and visa versa. Even if you're moving ask around once you get there. It won't take you long to figure out who knows their stuff and who doesn't.

Most of all...take TexDiveGuy's advice and do your homework. You can't depend solely on the advice you're given on any board...ever. We're not talking about which snorkel to buy here after all.:no

Haya there.
As many people point out "it's not the agency, it's the instructor".
BUT ... I'm probably coming back to the "real world" after a couple of years full time diving.
Now, I'd like to go tek and I'd like to choose an agency. I cannot choose the instructor, bc I'll move abroad (not that I had a home in the last 2 years ...) and therefore I do not know who's who.

I'd like a comment on agencies offering tek courses, pointing out what's the phylosophy. Comparisons are welcome but only if based on real experience.

thnx a lot

robi

At Divetech in the Cayman Islands they have a great solution between TDI and IANTD. At the end of their course you get both cards for a small add-on because their Tek instructors are certified with both. Nancy and Nat are also instructor trainers for both agencies. Nancy says it's is nice to have both so you can go any place in the world tek diving and by taking both at the same time you can see the small differences for yourself. Divetech will also introduce you to rebreathers during your course. All their staff are CCR divers at some level. They run special Tek events during the year that are discounted with TDI, IANTD, equipment manufactures there with the latest and greatest. I ended up leaving with a TDI & IANTD card plus a Kiss rebreather certification. What a great simple recreational CCR unit. Divetech rents out Kiss, Evolutions, DiveRite Optium rebreather and can support other CCR units. You don't even need to bring your tanks or scrubber. They have it all....

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts.
ciao

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom