TEK DIVING: what agency??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robcap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Haya there.
As many people point out "it's not the agency, it's the instructor".
BUT ... I'm probably coming back to the "real world" after a couple of years full time diving.
Now, I'd like to go tek and I'd like to choose an agency. I cannot choose the instructor, bc I'll move abroad (not that I had a home in the last 2 years ...) and therefore I do not know who's who.

I'd like a comment on agencies offering tek courses, pointing out what's the phylosophy. Comparisons are welcome but only if based on real experience.

thnx a lot

robi

There have been lots of previous threads on this....do a SEARCH!

PS... I prefer TDI courses.

There have been lots of previous threads on this....do a SEARCH!
PS... I prefer TDI courses.

Extremely interesting advice.
I do not want to start a controversy, but ... do you really think I have not performed a SEARCH??
Maybe I have not found what I was looking for ...
Why don't you say WHY do you prefer TDI courses? And compared to what other agencies?
Why don't you write the link to these threads?

Again any comment would be appreciated.
What I am looking for are comparison on the programs, training methods and so on.

Well, it kinds of sounds like you want someone else to do all the work. If you have searched already then you should have a great deal of info. You can also look at the standards posted by each agency and then make your own comparisons and decisions....

Extremely interesting advice.
I do not want to start a controversy, but ... do you really think I have not performed a SEARCH??
Maybe I have not found what I was looking for ...
Why don't you say WHY do you prefer TDI courses? And compared to what other agencies?
Why don't you write the link to these threads?

Again any comment would be appreciated.
What I am looking for are comparison on the programs, training methods and so on.

Have posted a number of times for those who have asked this same question...I have given my reasons....just get tried of writing it over I guess....do a search and read.....ask outside of the internet also....buy a few agency manuals and study through them...go over to DecoStop and do a search..these are all things I did and it helped!! One of the first rules in technical diving is 'self reliance'....time to start I really think....no flame. :wink:

International Training :: Home :: Welcome to Technical Diving International

Haya there.
As many people point out "it's not the agency, it's the instructor".
BUT ... I'm probably coming back to the "real world" after a couple of years full time diving.
Now, I'd like to go tek and I'd like to choose an agency. I cannot choose the instructor, bc I'll move abroad (not that I had a home in the last 2 years ...) and therefore I do not know who's who.

I'd like a comment on agencies offering tek courses, pointing out what's the phylosophy. Comparisons are welcome but only if based on real experience.

thnx a lot

robi

Um ANDI... Yes, I'm a touch bias considering my Dad is the head of the agency and all. Please don't flame me. :wink:

But on a serious note here is the link the ANDI website. There is a lot of great info, philo and contacts there. Hope you find it helpful in your decision:

Welcome to ANDInternational

I took a DSAt blender class and was not impressed. I think it was mostly the instructor. I happened to run across a guy at the local dive site who looked like he had all the right gear for tech stuff (at the time I diden't know what it was but he had alot of it) Happened to be a TDI tech instructor so thats the route I went. Alot of ppl are in it for the money, some are in it because they truely love it and are good at it. I would seek out the later, and then agency won't be an issue

The Chad:
I took a DSAt blender class and was not impressed. I think it was mostly the instructor. ... Alot of ppl are in it for the money, some are in it because they truely love it and are good at it. I would seek out the later, and then agency won't be an issue
There are differences across agencies, in length of experience in tec instruction, quality of the training materials, and the specific requirements of the course. With a good instructor, the impact of these may be minimized, although not necessarily eliminated. I completed the PADI / DSAT Tec level 1 and 2, and found the course to be excellent. It took me through a logical progression of development over 12 dives, provided isolated instruction on specific skills as the program progressed, and ended with an integrated experience - a deco dive to 165ft, employing air as the backgas, and using two deco mixes. The manual was excellent - detailed and informative. Possible downsides of this course: 1) I had an excellent instructor, with whom I could work easily and effectively, who was genuinely committed to helping students develop. I cannot say that all DSAT tec instructors are the same, although I would like to think most are. 2) PADI / DSAT is a relative newcomer to technical training compared to certain other agencies. 3) While the materials for the Tec 1 and 2 are excellent, I do not think the materials for the trimix course are anywhere near as substantive. 4) Trimix diving is also a separate / subsequent step in the DSAT technical dive training process, whereas it may be integrated earlier in other agency programs. 5) The DSAT tec student AND the instructor (who is supposed to be gas-matched with the students) dive air to 165ft, which some view as suboptimal, or even wrong (I do not). 6) The tec training, before trimix, takes you from a maximum recommended depth of 130 to 165 ft, which some may view as rather limited 'gain' (again, I do not). These are not necessarily flaws, just characteristics of this particular agency technical curriculum.

A few personal observations, possibly based by the specific program I completed. Tec training is very much about equipment, procedures, and attitude. Advanced preparation can be helpful in offsetting some of the challenges of the very task-loaded training and diving involved in tec 1 and 2. Before pursuing technical training, I think it is essential to have comfort and facility with drysuit diving, rather than try to master that skill set during the course. Likewise, having experience with doubles diving is highly desirable before beginning the tec training process (although some make the argument that the tec course is what provides the needed initial training in diving doubles). I do not recommend that someone try to set up their doubles rig entirely during the beginning of the course, and dive it for the first time. It is just a lot to try and do. Experience with diving (and air-sharing with) a long hose, deploying lift bags, diving with slung bottles (pony to start, decos in the course) is helpful, and can be practiced BEFORE the course. And, having an attitude that failure to perform with perfection during the course is not only possible but almost guaranteed, is desirable. It is a humbling experience.

Personally, I like TDI for some courses, but am looking to take the PADI Trimix course. The TDI Adv. Nitrox and Deco course covers more or less PADI DSAT Tec 1 and 2. You learn to plan your deco dives, plan your mixes, etc. pretty much like every other agency out there. I, along with most other people, can tell you, though, that the texts they administer during the classes are rather lacking in a few areas, and the humor is, well, bad. Not that I want to -ert anyone's feelings that loves TDI.

TRIMIX: TDI requires you take 2 courses at ~$800 a pop (give or take for the shop and instructor) to become certified in normoxic and hypoxic trimix. PADI DSAT Trimix, as it's been explained to me by several PADI instructors (correct me if I'm wrong), is around $1200 dollars and takes all the way through hypoxic trimix. I'm personally not a huge fan of PADI, but it is a card that gets you the gas you want, and is accepted worldwide.

Now, to close this one out, I'm not saying by any means follow my schedule of study in Tech, but be smart about it. Some agencies out there are very good in some areas of study, and others do better in other areas. You can either fly the straight and narrow and do all your courses through reputable agencies such as IANTD, or TDI/SDI, or you can try to mix and match to better your education.

The "deep air" of PADI/DSAT takes it right of my list. I just wouldn´t want to do training dives to 160ft on air, particularly not if my instructor is forced to be just as narced as I would be.

I know you can pick your path thru the IANTD program without hitting ENDs below 90ft (if you want to), that´s the route I took and doing the same dive on mix and air convinced me that it´s the only path I´d feel comfortable recommending to anyone.

I have taken ANDI courses and their materials are the best I´ve seen (having taken courses from PADI, IANTD and NACD)...

As I don´t have any experience with other agencies I won´t say anything about them...

I know that economics are certainly a factor in the path you choose but if you find yourself motivating any choices with "it gets me the access I want", I´d respectfully suggest that you should seriously reconsider whether you´re really suitable for these kinds of dives...

(psst....It´s the instructor not the agency!)

ymmv

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom