Teenager with DCS, mother in denial, treatment delayed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please tell me they are carrying deco tanks, planning out deco stops etc.
180 - 270 for one fish is not uncommon. They do the planning & bottles, but there are no dive algorithm's that factor in the bubble explosion when fighting a fish that has rocked up inside a wreck or under a ledge that deep.

Tampa Bay spearos (Clearwater, west coast Florida) and Louisiana Spearos are in a Darwin race.
Well, not all of us are. For trophy hunters, you are correct.
When it comes to the St. Pete Open last month, multiple really DEEP drops are common.
True, but even that can't explain this. St. Pete Open was almost a month before the reported date of the incident.

180 - 270 for one fish is not uncommon. They do the planning & bottles, but there are no dive algorithm's that factor in the bubble explosion when fighting a fish that has rocked up inside a wreck or under a ledge that deep.

If I follow what you mean you can kinda account for that by using super conservative dive algorithms.

Tampa Bay spearos (Clearwater, west coast Florida) and Louisiana Spearos are in a Darwin race.
I remember quite a few years ago that you wrote something to that effect about Louisiana area spearos.

It was in relation to a thread that grew so contentious that it was one of the few times in ScubaBoard history that an entire thread was removed. It was about two young men who were fishing and drinking beer all day, and at dusk they decided to dive for big grouper, using AL 80s. The one who went to 200 feet in the gathering gloom never came back. The thread about it became filled with new members from that community insisting that there was nothing unusual or wrong with that plan, and the thing to remember about scuba is that sometimes you die--nothing you can do about it.

Anyway, that's how I remember that thread--no way to confirm it.

Is that the kind of attitude we are talking about here?

I remember quite a few years ago that you wrote something to that effect about Louisiana area spearos.

It was in relation to a thread that grew so contentious that it was one of the few times in ScubaBoard history that an entire thread was removed. It was about two young men who were fishing and drinking beer all day, and at dusk they decided to dive for big grouper, using AL 80s. The one who went to 200 feet in the gathering gloom never came back. The thread about it became filled with new members from that community insisting that there was nothing unusual or wrong with that plan, and the thing to remember about scuba is that sometimes you die--nothing you can do about it.

Anyway, that's how I remember that thread--no way to confirm it.

Is that the kind of attitude we are talking about here?
Yes, but the west coast SPO folks aren't as egregious as the Louisiana guys. Hell, lots of really good shooters in both places, but they will take risks I won't touch.

I helped a Louisiana shooter whose name you would know get a little Bauer ready for use. When he fed pure O2 into it (in the back of his pickup) and turned it into a pile of shrapnel, I asked what made him think he could pump O2 with a oil filled compressor. Turns out, I made nitrox with mine. facepalm

Who the hell is doing 4 drops per day in those ranges? That's racking a helluva lot of deco stress.
She says "... isn't always human error"

180, 170, 160, 160

I am speechless

She says "... isn't always human error"

180, 170, 160, 160

I am speechless
My reference to the older, now deleted, thread is to this sort of thinking. When you read what thee people think is normal diving, it is night and day different from anything you will see in threads on places like ScubaBoard. They have developed their own belief systems that have nothing to do with what we believe to be the science of diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom