Teen drowns at North Texas scuba park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ReefHound:
It makes perfect sense to me that they would be practicing skills they had just learned that weekend, i.e. sharing air.

Well.. I was hoping that wasn't the case as I said in my message.. but you're right people do practice things there as they should (I prefer to come back to the pool and practice those when I am refreshing or when my kids were certified vs a murky quary). Again.. if that was the case it unfortunately sounds like it went wrong and wasn't done correctly. :(

In everyone's defense, they may be like me- this thread began in the Texas Swampdiver's forum, and I didn't realize it had been moved to Accidents and Incidents until you said something about it.

Marvel:
[C] ****MOD Post****
Folks, I know that many of you are shocked & dismayed by the loss of this young lady but please respect the forum rules which include the following:

(4) No "condolences to the family" here

This forum is for the discussion of accidents and incidence, hence the forum title. All posts that are strictly condolence-related have been removed by me. It would be perfectly acceptable to to begin a thread in the Texas Swamp Divers forum for that purpose. I am sure that the family would appreciate it, should they visit SB.

Thank you
****MOD Post****

[/C]

Foo:
In everyone's defense, they may be like me- this thread began in the Texas Swampdiver's forum, and I didn't realize it had been moved to Accidents and Incidents until you said something about it.
I don't think that defense is needed - just acceptance, ok?

Boy, I can see this as too possible...
> she was breathing off her father's octo...
> the father lost his weight belt and went to the surface (if he had 10# on it wearing neoprene, he couldn't help it - call for help becasue he can't get back down)
> they were not locked together (too common mistake - I've made it, too)
> and the reg was pulled from her mouth when he went up. (panic could be next)

Good reminders to check the weights and lock when sharing.

This kind of event tells me CESA still need to be taught, with or without a regulator in the mouth.

Huh? CESA is not taught in OW class anymore? Is that what you just said? I find that fact to be quite amazing!

Just did my OW last weekend - had to do a CESA to complete it.

richerso:
Huh? CESA is not taught in OW class anymore? Is that what you just said? I find that fact to be quite amazing!

ditto! But I do believe it's still taught (?)

We have had some tech oriented divers who do not feel that I have any business taking up tech diving, if I still believe that CESA has a place in diving. While it is true that I might not have the skills nor desire to take tech diving, such statement that CESA has no place... totally ignore the situation in real life. Most divers are lousy buddies, and teenages run out of gas in their automobiles everyday.

In this case, the dad was right next to her when it happened.

All we have to do is type CESA in search, and there are plenty of people posted who feel very strongly against putting much if any emphasis in CESA.

One thing I wish was taught more in any class is practical buddy skills in low-viz conditions. We are always taught to look no longer than a minute after losing your buddy before surfacing. What about teaching ways to prevent losing your buddy in the first place?

For example, I've learned by experience that in low-viz conditions, trying to follow someone from behind is an awful idea. It is best to swim side-by-side.

Another thing that hasn't yet caught on in rec diving is underwater wireless communications. In low-viz, if you lost your buddy, you could instantaneously push-to-talk, and let them know you're okay.

Also, a short buddy-line in low-viz is mentioned in my AOW materials, but I don't recall that mentioned in the OW materials.

I'm sure there are many other practical tips like these that would be helpful to know.

I guess a lot of divers get certified so they can swim the clear blue ocean, and so low-viz really isn't their focus.

Best communication is a sub duck. Never lost a buddy when both of all had one. One buddy sends out a ping every second, the other buddy answers every five. But you can keep from needing that by just quacking as soon as a buddy starts to wander off. The downside is that it is too loud to use for normal communications. It has to be used in moderation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom