Technical Training Recommendations for Cozumel (or Playa, or Tulum, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my normoxic trimix with Protec, in addition to the cave training. I don't know that there are wrecks in the area suitable for a technical wreck course though.

Protec playa or tulim(I highly prefer tulum). Or Kelvin Davidson Home » Third Dimension Diving

my personal highest recommendation is Kelvin. He offers gue, iantd, and tdi courses. He is a well respected iantd instructor trainer and has extensive training and extensive years of instructing cave, trimix, and wreck. Prior to moving to tulum he was instructing for years in truck.

Thinking about taking a couple/few months off next year to get formal technical training. Since I lived in the Riviera Maya before, I was thinking Cozumel or Playa or Tulum, but would be open to other locations in the area if it is the right choice.

My idea is to take the full range of tech courses in open circuit. I'm doing some research and am currently oriented towards GUE, but would take a TDI shop. So I'm looking for recommendations and advice.
I see youre in Florida. There are guys here that teach fundamentals and Tech 1 that are real good.

Thinking about taking a couple/few months off next year to get formal technical training. Since I lived in the Riviera Maya before, I was thinking Cozumel or Playa or Tulum, but would be open to other locations in the area if it is the right choice.

My idea is to take the full range of tech courses in open circuit. I'm doing some research and am currently oriented towards GUE, but would take a TDI shop. So I'm looking for recommendations and advice.

That is a decision you have to make right now. I'm not a GUE diver (I took UTD route) but it comes highly recommended as I'm sure you've searched and found here before.

My UTD course laid the foundation and made all subsequent courses better for me. I'm certified to Normoxic Trimix on OC, and most of my instructors were from Florida. You are in an area with plenty of excellent instructors, and should take advantage of that before going to Mexico.

If it matters, as far as cave training, I think I took the best route. I certified to Apprentice in Florida, then dove Florida for like 20 Intro level dives. Then when navigation comes into the picture, I went to Protec Tulum for full cave. Once you have to start navigating with jumps and T's, with basically no reference markers, Mexico is the best training for that.

At the end of the day, take advantage of the great instructors in Florida, and once you have your $hit wired tight (sorry, an old Marine) then go to Tulum.

That is a decision you have to make right now. I'm not a GUE diver (I took UTD route) but it comes highly recommended as I'm sure you've searched and found here before.

My UTD course laid the foundation and made all subsequent courses better for me. I'm certified to Normoxic Trimix on OC, and most of my instructors were from Florida. You are in an area with plenty of excellent instructors, and should take advantage of that before going to Mexico.

If it matters, as far as cave training, I think I took the best route. I certified to Apprentice in Florida, then dove Florida for like 20 Intro level dives. Then when navigation comes into the picture, I went to Protec Tulum for full cave. Once you have to start navigating with jumps and T's, with basically no reference markers, Mexico is the best training for that.

At the end of the day, take advantage of the great instructors in Florida, and once you have your $hit wired tight (sorry, an old Marine) then go to Tulum.

there’s also quite a few crap Florida instructors too. I watch them at dive sites in cave country and am horrified by some of what I see. There are good and bad in both places. I do agree getting fundies or something similar now will make all classes easier. And you don’t have to go the gue route after fundies.
Kelvin is one of the best instructors I had ever worked with. I recently took a class with Ken Sallot and it was the same quality. Those are the best instructors I’ve worked with by far. I haven’t taken any gue courses. I wish I had early on. I plan to do fundies within a year even though I’m cave ccr and dpv certified. Just like with kelvin and Ken, I know the good gue instructors in Florida will always have something they can teach me.
Be cautious in Florida. There’s a few tech instructors I call the Kave Kardashians because all they do is post on social media to tout their business and because all of their followers are impressed they automatically get the “good instructor” label. There’s a few kave kardashians here that I’ve witnessed teaching questionable things.

Our own @oya is down there, I can recommend Roger to anyone. He hangs out with some shady GUE instructors there as well so they will be able to get you squared away regardless.

The "shady" was a joke, before the flames erupt.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom