Tech Wreck Gear Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anybody is going to be able to post a picture of a single tank rig set up for wreck penetration, because most of us are smart enough not to do penetration dives on a single tank.

If you have an instructor, why don't you confer with him about how to setup up your gear?
Well put!

i use a 30# for singles, and a 55# for doubles. IMO a 40 is to small for doubles in the ocean. As a matter of fact the only use I could see for a 40 would be in a cave where size is an issue.

+1. there is no wing that is dual use.
Actually, there are ... although having owned one (Dive Rite Rec wing) I don't recommend them. Singles and doubles wings require different size and shape inner panels in order to accommodate the cylinders, and although their use of bungee will prevent taco'ing (mostly), the wing shape they chose in order to accomodate both singles and doubles isn't ideal for either.

But it does work ... and some folks actually like them.

Instead get a 30# wing and stick with singles until you have the money to upgrade. Or, get a 40# win for doubles. Either way, make a decision.

i use a 30# for singles, and a 55# for doubles. IMO a 40 is to small for doubles in the ocean. As a matter of fact the only use I could see for a 40 would be in a cave where size is an issue.

I find a 40# wing works great with Al doubles. With large steel tanks agree 55# is more appropriate.

The size wing you need will depend completely on what exposure gear you're using and what size tanks you're diving.

I own several singles wings ... 18#, 30#, 35# and 40#. They all work just fine under the conditions I use them for.

I also own two doubles wings ... 49# and 60#. They work just fine under the conditions I use them for. I've also used an Evolve 40 just fine with double 100's.

Before giving someone recommendations about the size wing they need, it helps to find out what other gear they're planning to use with it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Actually, there are ... although having owned one (Dive Rite Rec wing) I don't recommend them. Singles and doubles wings require different size and shape inner panels in order to accommodate the cylinders, and although their use of bungee will prevent taco'ing (mostly), the wing shape they chose in order to accomodate both singles and doubles isn't ideal for either.

But it does work ... and some folks actually like them.

OK fine. There are no GOOD dual use wings.

One post, 26 visits to your profile. Nicely played:D

Something like this prolly

78641d1278032331-tech-wreck-gear-configuration-1.jpg

78642d1278032340-tech-wreck-gear-configuration-2.jpg

78643d1278032350-tech-wreck-gear-configuration-3.jpg

78644d1278032357-tech-wreck-gear-configuration-4.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 255
One post, 26 visits to your profile. Nicely played:D

Actually there were three more posts that got deleted :wink:

Hey i've just upgraded my old mares jacket for a nice new Halcyon Eclipse with ACB weight system and am trying to figure the best way to configure every thing for advanced wreck penetration with sling's into some pretty tight places (not into side mount and generally have a sling on my right side anyway) Has anyone got any pics of their rigs that they want to put up so i can get some ideas for good positioning etc?

Dude, we need to talk.

Where abouts are you based? Do I know you? I'm happy to give you some critique on your rig and suggestions for improving. I'm Auckland based, and wrecks and caves are our thing.

We also offer advanced wreck penetration courses. Wreck penetration is a somewhat deceptive - "pretty tight places" are not a good place to be unless you really have practised the skills you need to get out of those spots when something has gone wrong.

Drop me a PM and I'll give you me contact details - our get in touch via the website: Tech Dive NZ - Technical Diving & Technical Dive Training in New Zealand

In the mean time, some questions and ideas to think about.

1. Do you have a long hose, and how do you stow it?

2. If the answer to (1) is NO, then you have NO RIGHT being in "pretty tight places" in a wreck. There is no way to effectively share gas with your team mates when something has gone wrong.

3. How big a sling tank? And is it the same mix as your backgas, or is it a deco mix? Are you diving a single tank for backgas?

4. If you are diving a single tank with a sling tank for redundancy, please realise that this is definitely suboptimal. You must limit your penetration distance and total distance to surface (measured in time) to the size of your redundant gas source. Most of the main NZ wrecks (Canterbury, Waikato, Lermontov) are too deep for a sling tank unless it is greater than 40 cu ft in volume. By the time you get up to the 63 cu ft and 80 cu ft tanks, the size of them really limits the effectiveness of getting into tight squeezes - you are way better off with a set of manifolded twins.

5. Can you deploy your long hose if you are carrying a sling tank on the right hand side? More importantly, can you do it in a confined space and in the dark? If you can't, consider switching your sling tank to the left hand side to free up the deployment of the hose - or better, moving to a set of twin tanks. Yes, they are expensive to set up - but how much do you value your life and the life of your buddy?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom