Tech Wreck Gear Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey i've just upgraded my old mares jacket for a nice new Halcyon Eclipse with ACB weight system and am trying to figure the best way to configure every thing for advanced wreck penetration with sling's into some pretty tight places (not into side mount and generally have a sling on my right side anyway) Has anyone got any pics of their rigs that they want to put up so i can get some ideas for good positioning etc?

Thanks in advance :D

Hey i've just upgraded my old mares jacket for a nice new Halcyon Eclipse with ACB weight system and am trying to figure the best way to configure every thing for advanced wreck penetration with sling's into some pretty tight places (not into side mount and generally have a sling on my right side anyway) Has anyone got any pics of their rigs that they want to put up so i can get some ideas for good positioning etc?

I just got the same rig for my Fundies class. beautiful piece of equipment isn't it? What size lift did you get?

Yea i love it! I got the 40lb lift version as my instructor said that along with my drysuit will be fine to start using twins as well as straight singles until i can afford a doubles wing and buy my on twin tank set up. Cant believe i ever used a jacket BCD! lol its a learning experience though :) hope you have nothing but good diving with yours! im sure you will

What instructor was this? I (and apparently quite a few others on this board) have wrestled with trim and buoyancy issues for quite a few dives that were the result of having the wrong type or wing or a wing that tried to do it all. IMO buying a 40lbs singles wing for both singles and twins is nonsense.

Just take a look at both wings in real life and hold them up against the tanks they are designed to go on; they are shaped *very* differently. You may be able to cope, but it's far from ideal, and after you get a doubles wing, you will now have a very expensive, inappropriately-sized singles wing.

Just bad advice as far as I'm concerned. Sorry I get a bit passionate about this because switching to an appropriate wing made an enormous difference for me.

What instructor was this? I (and apparently quite a few others on this board) have wrestled with trim and buoyancy issues for quite a few dives that were the result of having the wrong type or wing or a wing that tried to do it all. IMO buying a 40lbs singles wing for both singles and twins is nonsense.

Just take a look at both wings in real life and hold them up against the tanks they are designed to go on; they are shaped *very* differently. You may be able to cope, but it's far from ideal, and after you get a doubles wing, you will now have a very expensive, inappropriately-sized singles wing.

Just bad advice as far as I'm concerned. Sorry I get a bit passionate about this because switching to an appropriate wing made an enormous difference for me or get a 40# wing and use it for doubles. Either way, you will need to spend the money, esp if you want to get involved in adv wreck and tech diving.

+1. there is no wing that is dual use. Instead get a 30# wing and stick with singles until you have the money to upgrade. Or, get a 40# win for doubles. Either way, make a decision. You will eventually need to spend the money anyway if you are going into advanced wreck and tech diving.

Get different wings for single tank diving and doubles diving. Not sure why your instructor said to get one for both, 40lb is too much for most single diving I would imagine. And learn how to calculate how much lift you'll need in a wing for whatever set up you go for (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/158370-ultimate-wing-lift-calculator.html)

Wings are cheap, compared to the rest of the kit you need, so if you're going into adv wreck diving it will be no drama to get two, drop in the ocean money wise :wink:

What exactly are you wanting to set up? I'm presuming twins, if so manifold or independents? Have you dived with lots of different types of twins to figure out what you want? If not you should... Your question is quite broad.

What kind of training are you going to pursue to do advanced wreck diving? Some agencies will mandate certain gear so that's something to be aware of when setting things up.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Name calling, insults, and derogatory terms are not allowed per ToS. Further violations may result in thread bans.

You know, sometimes when something in my house breaks i need to use a nail gun. However, since I cant afford a nail gun I just use my 1000$ HID light to pound those nails in. Oh wait, no I don't, becasue ITS NOT MEANT FOR THAT JOB. I know that this concept regarding right equipment for the job is hard to understand, but perhaps your illustrious TDI instructor can draw you a paint by number picture to explain it.

We've given you sound advice, and then you retort by quoting your amazing instructor and spewing derogatory remarks. Why doesn't he just show you then? Im sure he knows ALL the answers given his thousands of logged dives.

This is a forum for the exchange of ideas, whether you like where the conversation goes or not: it is not a customer service help hotline. If you cant be nice and take part in a friendly conversation, get off scubaboard and go ask someone who will just tell you what you want to hear.

Hang on is your profile correct? 25-49 dives n you're thinking of wreck diving on a single tank?

There's lot to do between now and wreck/overhead. When you get to a certain point, your instructor will help u with the details of that type of diving. Take it easy, this isn't a race.

SangP

Has anyone got any pics of their rigs that they want to put up so i can get some ideas for good positioning etc?

I don't think anybody is going to be able to post a picture of a single tank rig set up for wreck penetration, because most of us are smart enough not to do penetration dives on a single tank.

If you have an instructor, why don't you confer with him about how to setup up your gear?

Back
Top Bottom