tech training/rec diving in Morehead area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robint

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
okay.... some questions about tech diving/training for my hubby....
we are thinking about coming out this summer for a week to dive in Morehead area with Olympus or Discovery most likely. It was originally planned as a purely recreational diving trip, shooting photos and videos, etc. but that has now changed...

I know Olympus does tech training but just wondered are they doing the required dives off the regular rec boats with divers? We are trying to figure out if we come out and he is doing the training, if I will be able to dive off the same boat (with another person as my buddy, just doing rec diving limits). Or do they take people out on a separate boat for the training? How difficult would a trip like this be for us?

I have no interest in diving doubles or tech diving at all but he is wanting to move in that direction gradually. We have a friend here who does tech and he is hoping to drag my hubby over to the dark side. They did some diving this past weekend, my hubby doing doubles for first time, and he really enjoyed it. So now I am trying to come up with a way for us to do a dive trip where we both get in what we want... some rec dives together and some tech diving/training for him. (he might be able to do some tech training here before summer)

sorry for the rambling! :wink: any help you can give me???

robin:D

short answer from me - i dunno. i know you can do some 'tech lite' on olympus' rec boats by getting in first & out last, but my bet would be that their training dives would be done on their smaller boats. bobby cox and the 'diver down' might be another boat to make you both happy if you both have buddies.

but a great question & i hope you get some more specific answers! if not, i suggest you call nema at olympus or ask on ncdivers.com.

hope you have a wonderful trip.

thanks.... I just looked up the Diver Down and see that they say that Tech divers can dive on same boat doing one dive while the Rec divers do 2 dives. :D

anyone else have any info on the subject??

Robin;

I'm taking an NAUI intro to Tech, it's two classroom sessions, w pre reading the manual, two pool sessions to practice skills BEFORE doing two open water sessions of 2-3 dives per session.

If who ever offers something along those lines, you're good to go, but it's alot more then just putting on some new gear and jumping into the water. Tech is a whole new world, with new skills to be learned and the risk factor does increase.

JM2C's

BTW, I'll be diving Moorsehead in June, looking forward to it, but I'll be wearing Rec gear, with maybe long primary/necklace.

Robin;

I'm taking an NAUI intro to Tech, it's two classroom sessions, w pre reading the manual, two pool sessions to practice skills BEFORE doing two open water sessions of 2-3 dives per session.

If who ever offers something along those lines, you're good to go, but it's alot more then just putting on some new gear and jumping into the water. Tech is a whole new world, with new skills to be learned and the risk factor does increase.

JM2C's

BTW, I'll be diving Moorsehead in June, looking forward to it, but I'll be wearing Rec gear, with maybe long primary/necklace.

thanks but we aren't looking for information about Tech classes. We are looking at info about how they handle the tech people on the boats in NC. Since we have some friends who are tech and want to go on the trip, we just want to make sure we wouldn't be separated onto different boats.

I'd suggest you give James a call:

tortuga dive charters

He's a six pack operation but has exactly what you are looking for. Tell him I sent you...

I think you are looking for tech instruction for your hubby with a boat that allows both tech and rec divers at the same time. It will be all about what instructor you use because they will be looking for the free ride on the boat to teach.

okay.... some questions about tech diving/training for my hubby....
we are thinking about coming out this summer for a week to dive in Morehead area with Olympus or Discovery most likely. It was originally planned as a purely recreational diving trip, shooting photos and videos, etc. but that has now changed...

I know Olympus does tech training but just wondered are they doing the required dives off the regular rec boats with divers? We are trying to figure out if we come out and he is doing the training, if I will be able to dive off the same boat (with another person as my buddy, just doing rec diving limits). Or do they take people out on a separate boat for the training? How difficult would a trip like this be for us?

I have no interest in diving doubles or tech diving at all but he is wanting to move in that direction gradually. We have a friend here who does tech and he is hoping to drag my hubby over to the dark side. They did some diving this past weekend, my hubby doing doubles for first time, and he really enjoyed it. So now I am trying to come up with a way for us to do a dive trip where we both get in what we want... some rec dives together and some tech diving/training for him. (he might be able to do some tech training here before summer)

sorry for the rambling! :wink: any help you can give me???

Robin, we are going down with cap. James tortuga charters May 9-15th, there is room open for 2divers i beleive. All will be diving doubles except 2 people. So there is your answer, i hope i helped you out. keith

well, my hubby has decided he wants to do his tech training here locally, so my original question isn't valid now....

thanks anyhow! we are still planning to come out in late July early Aug to dive though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom