Tech regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
DA, I'm a little newbie diver but twice I've popped the cover and diaphragm off my regs to clear them out. Once while floating on the surface in a bay, but the first time was in the crazy currents of the upper Hudson while at 50 feet. I had 3mm gloves, it took about a minute, and wasn't a big deal at all.
I am not saying it can't be done. (I am pretty sure I could do a complete rebuild of a first and second stage under water assumning I pre-lubricated the 0-rings - I'll have to try it in a pool sometime.)

I am saying that planning on being able to do it in an emergency may not be a great idea as the potential is there to lose parts and be left with a second stage that is not useable. I am also saying that there are better and far easier and less risky ways to address the problem. Plus, limiting your second stage selection based on that criteria, may be a mistake as it may not be be serving other larger and more important factors.

I agree that it's not a terribly important factor, but it is meaningful to me. :)

DA, thanks for all the info you've shared on this.

I read that apex reg are made for rugid worse conditons possable.
taken from apex

Q. What is a cold water regulator?
A. It is a regulator that is designed to be used in water of any temperature. The 1st stage is environmentally sealed.

the atx 50 has all the above.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom