Tech in the caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bismark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Okay, so I am about fed up with the crap on the usual forums about tech diving..... I dive at home and have done some great mix diving at home with some DIR people and finshed some training with a non GUE instructor who did Tech II and teaches mix diving. I have been waiting for a chance to complete Tech I and finally finished it yesterday..... in Bonaire. Long story short, if you want to do some awesome tech diving with some great support and have a truly great week, get off your butt and conact Benji Schaub in Bonaire and set up a Gue tech class in Bonaire. I finished my class with Dan MacKay, a guy who loves diving in bonaire. Our "graduation" dive was on the Windjammer, a fast sailing clipper (all metal) that sank in `1912. That was the graduation dive. I mean, honestly, can you think of anything better? I met a tech one guy who said he did his course in a drainage ditch........ are you kidding? A 240' sailing ship at 160' or a drainage ditch........ you gotta be on some kind of cheap drugs.........

The water temp was about 85 degrees, the visibilty was about 150 feet..... what more can I say. I did a tech one type of class this spring in cold water with crappy viz. Yes, it was excellent traiing and yes, it did make Bonaire much better. But, honestly, if you want to learn the skills and want to have the time in the water, what do you think the best idea is? I did a 98 minute dive yesterday. When was the last time you did that in 50 degree water?? Email Benji and he will set up what you need. The diving is great, the people are excellent, and the Papaya Moon serves an excelletn beef fajita............

Just my two cents........

Guy:D:D:D

Wait 'til dsteding reads this . . . He's been threatening to take off for warm, clear water to do a tech class. I think it's cheating. It's not a REAL tech class unless you're trussed up in a drysuit and fumbling at your boltsnaps with heavy dry gloves and rings . . . :)

Ha Ha, yep, the warm water does make things great! That's why I did pretty much the same thing in cold water first. What I liked about this was I was able to focus on the more subtle things and "fine tune" a lot of things. The Windjammer is a pretty awesome sight also. Anyone can PM me if they want more details. One thing is certain though, as much as I love the warm water stuff, cold water diving has a certain something that I really miss.........oh yeah, I remember what it was.......... the cold.......:)

[Our "graduation" dive was on the Windjammer, a fast sailing clipper (all metal) that sank in `1912. That was the graduation dive. I mean, honestly, can you think of anything better?

Well...yes I can. Do you want Tech 1 limit dives or can we include the deeper things?

Glad you enjoyed Bonaire. Dan runs a great trip down there without all the strokery that usually goes along with doing technical in that area.

Brian, we are here for another week. So what do you know about down here if we can include "the deeper things"? One of my regular tech dive buddies from Vancouver Island shows up in about 20 minutes. As far as the regular "strokery", I did see some of that on every occasion that I have been to bonaire. One of my favorite is the large "custom mix" labels on some of the doubles..... What next flavored mouthpieces.......?? In all seriousness, we will be looking for some interesting dives this coming up week. What can you suggest?

Guy

I did a 98 minute dive yesterday. When was the last time you did that in 50 degree water??

Sunday, 10/28/07: South Monestary Beach-Carmel, CA. 113 minute dive, max depth 50 fsw, water temp 52F.

Congrats on completing a difficult class, regardless of cert organization or location.

Mel

I did a 98 minute dive yesterday. When was the last time you did that in 50 degree water??

I can think of 10 dives in the 90-120 minute range that i've done in the past year in 45-55F water off the top of my head...

They're why I bought a CF200 instead of a TLS350...

I can think of 10 dives in the 90-120 minute range that i've done in the past year in 45-55F water off the top of my head...

They're why I bought a CF200 instead of a TLS350...

AAaah, another one that falls to the common misconception that the CF offers significant more thermal protection than the TLS.

AAaah, another one that falls to the common misconception that the CF offers significant more thermal protection than the TLS.

its not a misconception. i enjoy watching people wearing TLS350s shiver...

Depends on your definition of "significant," but I am remarkably warmer wearing my 2mm compressed neo suit as compared to my shell suit (both DC suits).

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom