Tech in the caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wait 'til dsteding reads this . . . He's been threatening to take off for warm, clear water to do a tech class. I think it's cheating. It's not a REAL tech class unless you're trussed up in a drysuit and fumbling at your boltsnaps with heavy dry gloves and rings . . . :)

I can do that at home. I am still seriously considering taking off somewhere warm. In fact, I have enough frequent flier miles to get a whole team and an instructor to Bonaire, just need to find the time to do so.

Bismark, what did you use for exposure protection down there?

Brian, we are here for another week. So what do you know about down here if we can include "the deeper things"? One of my regular tech dive buddies from Vancouver Island shows up in about 20 minutes. As far as the regular "strokery", I did see some of that on every occasion that I have been to bonaire. One of my favorite is the large "custom mix" labels on some of the doubles..... What next flavored mouthpieces.......?? In all seriousness, we will be looking for some interesting dives this coming up week. What can you suggest?

Guy

Guy: I hate you you f**hhking basthhhhaaarrd! :mooner:

Anyways, my knee is finally at a point where I am going to try and dive again (did one dive in the summer :( )

Hopefully all will go well and I can finally come over and dive the south island with you guys... well if you still want to ... I'll be a rusty fundies diver only, not a hot shot like you are now

:D

Bjorn

its not a misconception. i enjoy watching people wearing TLS350s shiver...

I've owned a CF, and currently own a CLX and a TLS. It's all about the underwear.

Depends on your definition of "significant," but I am remarkably warmer wearing my 2mm compressed neo suit as compared to my shell suit (both DC suits).

The DUI CF is not "compressed neo" it is crushed. The DUI rep at DEMA a few years ago delighted in showing me the difference. There are no bubbles in crushed, there are in compressed. Bubbles = insulation so I'm not surprised that your "compressed" suit was warmer than a shell.

The DUI CF is not "compressed neo" it is crushed. The DUI rep at DEMA a few years ago delighted in showing me the difference. There are no bubbles in crushed, there are in compressed. Bubbles = insulation so I'm not surprised that your "compressed" suit was warmer than a shell.

I know that, hence my specification of a compressed neo in my response. Certainly bubbles are related to insulation, don't know how that translates to the CF.

Now, Doug, if you're flying me to Grand Cayman, I'd think about doing Tech 1 . . . :)

Okay, so I am about fed up with the crap on the usual forums about tech diving..... I dive at home and have done some great mix diving at home with some DIR people and finshed some training with a non GUE instructor who did Tech II and teaches mix diving. I have been waiting for a chance to complete Tech I and finally finished it yesterday..... in Bonaire. Long story short, if you want to do some awesome tech diving with some great support and have a truly great week, get off your butt and conact Benji Schaub in Bonaire and set up a Gue tech class in Bonaire. I finished my class with Dan MacKay, a guy who loves diving in bonaire. Our "graduation" dive was on the Windjammer, a fast sailing clipper (all metal) that sank in `1912. That was the graduation dive. I mean, honestly, can you think of anything better? I met a tech one guy who said he did his course in a drainage ditch........ are you kidding? A 240' sailing ship at 160' or a drainage ditch........ you gotta be on some kind of cheap drugs.........

The water temp was about 85 degrees, the visibilty was about 150 feet..... what more can I say. I did a tech one type of class this spring in cold water with crappy viz. Yes, it was excellent traiing and yes, it did make Bonaire much better. But, honestly, if you want to learn the skills and want to have the time in the water, what do you think the best idea is? I did a 98 minute dive yesterday. When was the last time you did that in 50 degree water?? Email Benji and he will set up what you need. The diving is great, the people are excellent, and the Papaya Moon serves an excelletn beef fajita............

Just my two cents........

Guy:D:D:D
Amen brother. We did tech1 in Grand Cayman with Fraser Purdon (Ocean Frontiers) and Bob Sherwood. We tacked it on to the end of GUE Cayman Quest in March of this year.

Man, you just can't beat it. No lugging tanks and getting fills and doing a dozen other things that detract from the learning. The classroom was our balcony overlooking the ocean. The graduation dives were incredible wall dives with great life on them.

It was nice to tack it onto the end of the trip as we had "practice" time leading up to it and good interaction with the instructors leading up to the actual class.

Benji and Fraser definitely have it good :) I am surprised more people don't go that route and take the classes in the caribb.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom