Tech gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

didn't George not like drysuits either? I knew there was a lot of variation in there, but that was the general configuration you saw most often or the one you thought of when GUE/WKPP kit was mentioned. The point was the basics were/are all the same, and personal preference is allowed within reason
You must be thinking of someone else. George was a big proponent of the tls350. Tough to do a 14hr dive in 68deg water without a drysuit.

I was asked to describe by manufacturer/model and also photograph all the gear I intended to use in class and email it to the instructor ahead of time. She also had suggestions for what I needed. But if you are are training at store that supports a reasonable amount of tech training wouldn't they usually be able to rent you most everything you will need? (Other then possibly a well fitting dry suit.)

The tech world is not really rental friendly for training. You really need your own personal gear to dive enough to build the muscle memory and skills to be squared away. After that initial hurdle, we all travel and rent the stuff we need if we can not ship it, or fly with it. I fly with everything except doubles, and only borrow gear from fellow divers more anal than myself about maintenance.
YMMV
Eric

The tech world is not really rental friendly for training. You really need your own personal gear to dive enough to build the muscle memory and skills to be squared away. After that initial hurdle, we all travel and rent the stuff we need if we can not ship it, or fly with it. I fly with everything except doubles, and only borrow gear from fellow divers more anal than myself about maintenance.
YMMV
Eric
Maybe I'm just spoiled by taking a class at extreme exposure. They seemed to rent pretty much anything you might need for a class. Is that that uncommon?

Extreme Exposure, Cave Country Dive Shop, Cave Adventurers, notice a trend? I can think of maybe 5-6 other shops that are located around tech diving mecca's that will rent tech gear, but they truly are few and far between....

imo its best to own as much as possible, that way you know its service history and its set 'for you'.

Around here it's not unusual for those who are "tech curious" to borrow gear ... several of us own multiple sets of backplates, wings, regulators, doubles, etc and are willing to take someone who wants to try it out on an introductory dive before they invest in gear and training. The gear itself isn't particularly complicated ... and you don't need a class to go on an easy first dive in doubles. My first doubles dive was with Uncle Pug in borrowed gear. Once I tried it, I was then able to make more informed decisions about purchases and training ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Great post, swimmer_spe, and great replies too. Much food for thought here.

I'm kicking around the idea of trying a few tech classes in the future as well, primarily with the idea of skill improvement toward an end goal of being solid enough underwater to do well with photography. Having lurked here for a while and done as much side reading as I've been able to find on the web, there are a few things I'm having trouble following (italics are quotes from the GUE gear configuration page):

• Why a black mask frame? Seems like it blanks any chance of peripheral vision for large objects / shadows / motion.
  • Goodman handle light head – is something like a Light & Motion Sola light with a wrist mount okay?
  • Mask strap – any examples of strong / weak ones? (strong, will resist breaking)
  • Corrugated hose: how does this relate to ear clearing? (Should be just long enough to allow for ear clearing and potential dry suit inflation while actuating inflator, but not so long that it drags or entangles easily.)
  • Double burst disks – is the increased burst pressure from doubling the discs a safety issue for filling/storage?
  • Pee valves – are diapers okay too?
  • Compass on left arm + steel stages and/or valves on left side = magnetic variation issues? (In the ocean, a compass is of paramount importance, and, without interfering with other activities, needs to be viewable and held in its correct orientation on the left hand.)
  • Max single wing size: is 40 pounds more realistic for big guys in drysuits with a steel tank? (if a diver does need more than 65 pounds of lift for diving doubles, or more than 30 pounds for diving singles, then they do not have a balanced rig)
  • Fins – this thread is the first time I’ve seen Mares Avanti Quattro grouped with tech fins (jet fins, etc.). Are they stiff enough / acceptable for most tech diving?

Hope these questions aren't too far off track. Thanks to everyone for the info so far!

Lance

I'm kicking around the idea of trying a few tech classes in the future as well, primarily with the idea of skill improvement toward an end goal of being solid enough underwater to do well with photography. Having lurked here for a while and done as much side reading as I've been able to find on the web, there are a few things I'm having trouble following (italics are quotes from the GUE gear configuration page):

• Why a black mask frame? Seems like it blanks any chance of peripheral vision for large objects / shadows / motion.
  • Goodman handle light head – is something like a Light & Motion Sola light with a wrist mount okay?
  • Mask strap – any examples of strong / weak ones? (strong, will resist breaking)
  • Corrugated hose: how does this relate to ear clearing? (Should be just long enough to allow for ear clearing and potential dry suit inflation while actuating inflator, but not so long that it drags or entangles easily.)
  • Double burst disks – is the increased burst pressure from doubling the discs a safety issue for filling/storage?
  • Pee valves – are diapers okay too?
  • Compass on left arm + steel stages and/or valves on left side = magnetic variation issues? (In the ocean, a compass is of paramount importance, and, without interfering with other activities, needs to be viewable and held in its correct orientation on the left hand.)
  • Max single wing size: is 40 pounds more realistic for big guys in drysuits with a steel tank? (if a diver does need more than 65 pounds of lift for diving doubles, or more than 30 pounds for diving singles, then they do not have a balanced rig)
  • Fins – this thread is the first time I’ve seen Mares Avanti Quattro grouped with tech fins (jet fins, etc.). Are they stiff enough / acceptable for most tech diving?

Hope these questions aren't too far off track. Thanks to everyone for the info so far!

Lance

I'll try to answer some points.....

Black frame- from DGX...Clear skirts on masks are popular because they minimize the claustrophobic feeling some people get when they wear a mask. Nevertheless, clear skirts and even colored frames actually interfere with vision. Extraneous light entering through the clear skirt makes it more difficult for the eye to focus and causes reflections that obscure vision. Demonstrate this by looking out a window from a lighted room at twilight. You will see better by cupping your hands around your eyes as you press your face to the window. Brightly colored glossy accent frames can also cause annoying color halos around the lenses. For these reasons, knowledgeable divers seeking the best possible vision prefer masks with solid black skirts and frames.
Goodman handle- yes a soft goodman handle is fine, essentially you just want to free up your hand for other tasks. Although there are better tying options on a hard handle for placement on the D ring.

Mask Strap- just like a cheap fin strap, swap it out for a nylon and neoprene one. UTD Neoprene Mask Strap · UTD Scuba Diving

Burst discs- they don't double the pressure they are a back up for the original disc. Personally, I don't do this.

Compass on the left- better than on the right so you can operate inflator and other gear as right arm has computer and deco info.

Lift requirements of wing are based on balanced rig/common sense.

Pee valve- yes, diapers ok, I even wear them when not diving.
Quattros are fine. And a spring strap and you're gtg.

Cool?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm kicking around the idea of trying a few tech classes in the future as well, primarily with the idea of skill improvement toward an end goal of being solid enough underwater to do well with photography. Having lurked here for a while and done as much side reading as I've been able to find on the web, there are a few things I'm having trouble following (italics are quotes from the GUE gear configuration page)

Why a black mask frame? Seems like it blanks any chance of peripheral vision for large objects / shadows / motion.
Sharper vision

Goodman handle light head – is something like a Light & Motion Sola light with a wrist mount okay?
Soft or hard handle will work as long as it can be removed and clipped to D-Ring.

Mask strap – any examples of strong / weak ones? (strong, will resist breaking)
Velcro mask strap

Corrugated hose: how does this relate to ear clearing? (Should be just long enough to allow for ear clearing and potential dry suit inflation while actuating inflator, but not so long that it drags or entangles easily.)
Be able to either pinch your nose or add air to your drysuit without letting go of the wing Power inflator.

Double burst disks – is the increased burst pressure from doubling the discs a safety issue for filling/storage?
Not unless your planning on overfilling your tanks and or not getting your valves serviced.

Pee valves – are diapers okay too?
Diapers will work but a pee valve is more convenient.

Compass on left arm + steel stages and/or valves on left side = magnetic variation issues? (In the ocean, a compass is of paramount importance, and, without interfering with other activities, needs to be viewable and held in its correct orientation on the left hand.)
You hold out you compass in front of you to take a reading. You are not carrying enough steel to throw the compass off at that distance.

Max single wing size: is 40 pounds more realistic for big guys in drysuits with a steel tank? (if a diver does need more than 65 pounds of lift for diving doubles, or more than 30 pounds for diving singles, then they do not have a balanced rig)
The wing is to support your equipment with or without you in it. <40lbs for single and <60lbs for doubles.

Fins – this thread is the first time I’ve seen Mares Avanti Quattro grouped with tech fins (jet fins, etc.). Are they stiff enough / acceptable for most tech diving?
I have no experience with mares but they are non split fins.

Lance

You will not regret taking an intro to reach and Adv Ntrx/staged deco from a great instructor. Unfortunately finding a great instructor is the hard part. Ask here on Scubaboard and local buddies for recommended instructors in you area.

The double burst disks are not 2 disks stacked for increased burst pressure. It is one burst disk on each of the valves, one on the right post, one on the left post. Some time way back when, some folks would plug one or both of the burst disks or not replace them as needed.

Back
Top Bottom