Tech gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You'll be required to dive a fairly specific gear configuration.

Brand is your choice.

Meaning backplate, wing, etc.

I provided the link in my original post.

Generally accepted tech configuration. It can be any brand/manufacturer as long as it's similar in design and function.

For example a Guideline reel or as I know it as a wreck reel could be bought from Halcyon or Light Monkey to name a couple.

Wow, That was not nearly as bad as I thought. I am actually surprised at how simple it is.

I think most of my equipment might be ok......

"Specific" means meeting certain specifications. The GUE page is quite explicit about what those specifications are, and they have nothing to do with brand. Like AJ, I have taken quite a few GUE classes, and at no time, with any of the five instructors with whom I have worked, has anything been said about brand.

As has been stated above, for back-mounted doubles, most agencies and instructors have pretty much settled on a very similar arrangement, and there is a reason for that. Some things are adopted because they just plain work well.

Buying tech gear prior to meeting with your perspective instructor can be a slippery slope, it has nothing to do with brand. It is about function. While in Fla one winter I got to witness a group of new punters with a bunch of shiny new tech gear, meeting their AN/DP instructor for a gear review. I found it amusing, they did not. The Instructor pointed out all the potential flaws and failure points of their expensive choices. If you purchase gear prior to meeting with your instructor, expect some of that gear to be DQ'd.
YMMV
Eric

I was of the understanding that some agencies say you must dive specific gear. . . . From what I am reading, that is just not the case.
Yes, you are understanding the situation correctly. The focus and the requirements generally relate to type of configuration, not brand.

I am curious, however. What information / experience / reading led you to believe that specific agencies might 'push' or require specific brands?

Buying tech gear prior to meeting with your perspective instructor can be a slippery slope, it has nothing to do with brand. It is about function. While in Fla one winter I got to witness a group of new punters with a bunch of shiny new tech gear, meeting their AN/DP instructor for a gear review. I found it amusing, they did not. The Instructor pointed out all the potential flaws and failure points of their expensive choices. If you purchase gear prior to meeting with your instructor, expect some of that gear to be DQ'd.
YMMV
Eric
I was asked to describe by manufacturer/model and also photograph all the gear I intended to use in class and email it to the instructor ahead of time. She also had suggestions for what I needed. But if you are are training at store that supports a reasonable amount of tech training wouldn't they usually be able to rent you most everything you will need? (Other then possibly a well fitting dry suit.)

I was asked to describe by manufacturer/model and also photograph all the gear I intended to use in class and email it to the instructor ahead of time. She also had suggestions for what I needed. But if you are are training at store that supports a reasonable amount of tech training wouldn't they usually be able to rent you most everything you will need? (Other then possibly a well fitting dry suit.)

That's a strange request Kevin ... out of curiosity, what class were you taking? Did they give you any reason why they wanted this information? FWIW - a good instructor will never ask you to do anything without being able to provide a cogent explanation why. If they can't, or are unwilling, to do that then the chances are they don't really understand it themselves ... which isn't a good sign that you chose a quality instructor.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom