Tech gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you are understanding the situation correctly. The focus and the requirements generally relate to type of configuration, not brand.

I am curious, however. What information / experience / reading led you to believe that specific agencies might 'push' or require specific brands?

All the posts about gear that I read when people with GUE seem to only be able to use very specific gear.

All the posts about gear that I read when people with GUE seem to only be able to use very specific gear.

it is a specific gear configuration, but brand doesn't matter.
And it's a pretty standard configuration (backmount only) across the major technical agencies/major instructors.

Some folks get caught up in the minutia.

Big parts are manifolded doubles, backplate, wing, longhose w/ bungeed backup, paddle fins.

it's very specific but it's not that specific...

Used to be PSTLP104's, with Halcyon manifold, Highland Mills 3" Bands
Halcyon SS Backplate and wing with one piece harness
Scubapro Jet fins with spring straps
DUI TLS350 drysuit
Mask was chosen by diver, but black skirt low volume
Lights changed over the years but HID>LED, tight of a beam as possible
Scubapro MK25 first stages with G250 primary and R190 secondary, 2" brass and glass SPG, all stainless hardware

That was the basic WKPP configuration, and obviously there is more to it, but if you saw a DIR diver in the 90's, odds are they were on the WKPP project and their gear looked like that, almost impossible to tell who's gear was who's aside from the initials on the tanks. Back then there weren't anywhere near the options as there are now which is how Halcyon was founded in the first place, they didn't have a wing they liked, so they made their own, and it has evolved from there.

Now there are a lot of different options and the reason a GUE instructor or even tech instructor in general would ask for the brands/models was to make sure you didn't have an OMS bungeed wing or anything like that, or weren't using the Dive Rite Super wing with 100lbs of lift when you were diving LP85's or HP100's that only need a 45lb wing, check the harness to make sure it was one piece if GUE, make sure your regulators were matching first stages and had appropriate second stages with the right hose lengths, and a few other things just to let you know if something wasn't going to work before you got there and they were able to evaluate in person.

Good instructors/mentors can diagnose gear almost as well with pictures and a good list as we can in person because we've seen most of the permutations going around, so by asking for pictures and a list of gear, it gives you extra time to shop for deals on the equipment you need. Now, if you say I have a Dive Rite Classic Wing, and they say, no you need a Halcyon Evolve, or Scubapro X-Tek, then it's time to find a new instructor because that's BS, but if you have an OMS bungeed wing and they ask you to cut the bungees off, or your wing has one of the pull dumps on the inflator elbow and a GUE instructor asks you to replace it with a straight elbow, etc etc, then I think that is perfectly within reason to ask before you get there and get pissed because you have to replace a bunch of stuff

it's very specific but it's not that specific...

check the harness to make sure it was one piece if GUE, make sure your regulators were matching first stages and had appropriate second stages with the right hose lengths, and a few other things just to let you know if something wasn't going to work before you got there and they were able to evaluate in person.

First stages don't have to match. I was rocking an apeks ds-4 and a hog d-1 for awhile on my twins (including on fundies). I know a few people rocking scubapro and apeks at the moment.

UTD sidemount and Z-system.... The few UTD instructors I've met have pushed UTD's gear hard, AG included *obviously*, everything from fins to regs, I'm sure they'll let you take the courses in other gear for backmount courses, but I'd be shocked if you could take their sidemount course without the manifold *again could be wrong their, but I imagine the manifold is the only reason you'd take their sidemount course*, but I've never seen a GUE instructor push Halcyon gear unless the student asked for recommendations.

I can't agree to this at all. Have you taken a class from AG or dive with him? I have. While he passionately believe in the quality of his gears, he at no point push for UTD gears. He will, when you ask for gear opionion, he will give you a full run down on his gear lines. And he doesn't talk down on other gears generally. I have only heard him say negtive thing on one piece of gear he is using, and he had a good reason.

class/dive with him no, but been around him during lectures and what not. He's never talked down other gear, which is good, but there was a lot of talking about how his gear was better. The grating part for me was the fins despite coming from the same factory/molds as the Poseidon and Hog fins, his spring straps are different, but fins are the same. It is what it is, he's decided to make money from gear and he's proud of it, it's fine, but they do seem to have more of an affiliation for the UTD gear than GUE instructors do for Halcyon. It's not a bad thing, it's just a thing, and I do believe I qualified it with "I'm sure they'll let you take the class in other gear".

Tbone, it was never that specific, especially withing GUE. Even within the WKPP there was (and is) more variance. George used a clear mask skirt and apeks regs, directly contradicting your list of equipment. I could pick it apart further, but I hope you get the point.

Furthermore gue is not Wkpp. Lots of similarities and a shared history but they aren't the same.

didn't George not like drysuits either? I knew there was a lot of variation in there, but that was the general configuration you saw most often or the one you thought of when GUE/WKPP kit was mentioned. The point was the basics were/are all the same, and personal preference is allowed within reason

swimmer_spe ..... I would seriously concentrate on finding the best tech instructor in your area.

Hopefully you will have a few to choose from. I would interview each and be sure to have them email you a required equipment list for course equivalents of Intro to Tech and Advanced Nitrox with Decompression Procedures. The list will probably be the same with the addition of a 40cf deco bottle and additional reg.

I know you may not have the funds to get gear and courses now but an exceptional tech instructor/mentor will understand that you are in the planning phase.

You may also be able to setup an evaluation dive with each so you can see how they are in the water and get a few tips for improvement.

Check course prerequisites for each agency the instructor belongs to. Also, check the required courses that will qualify you to use up to 100% O2. Each agency has there own path. But the Instructor is the most important factor in the equation.

Do you have your Nitrox cert? You will need that before Advanced Nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom