Tech gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think there is a strick requirement on mask skirt color. It is more of a personal preference. I have seen GUE instructors using both. I kind of prefer clear for open water.

The double burst disks are not 2 disks stacked for increased burst pressure. It is one burst disk on each of the valves, one on the right post, one on the left post. Some time way back when, some folks would plug one or both of the burst disks or not replace them as needed.

The replies from decompression and ddmattos got me thinking on this one too. Found a thread that addresses what I was wondering about here.

Looks like there were a bunch of different ways people messed with these: blanking with solid bolts, doubling discs, etc. Sounds like the manufacturers have eliminated some of this with a new standard (from post #6 in that thread):

Double Disking a valve is almost obsolete today since the major valve companys have moved to a one piece saftey assembly. Thermo, Sherwood, soon SanoSub, Genesis all use a single piece assembly to prevent double disking.

Sounds like this was a hot topic back in the day. Maybe not so much anymore.

Lance

---------- Post added February 15th, 2015 at 04:42 PM ----------

You will not regret taking an intro to reach and Adv Ntrx/staged deco from a great instructor. Unfortunately finding a great instructor is the hard part. Ask here on Scubaboard and local buddies for recommended instructors in you area.

Appreciate all of the answers, especially this bit. Thanks!

Lance

Just as a note, most European divers don't have any burst discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some guys also use plugs in place of the burst disk.

Europes got the right answer though.

Thank you for all the information.

Plugging a safety valve? I will never be a Tech diver if they want the safety equipment altered.

Can I have all sorts of colourful gear?

I do not know the divers around here yet. As such, I don't know if any of them are tech divers.

The burst disk is not a safety valve, it's an unnecessary complication implemented almost solely in the USA, the rest of the world dive just fine without them.

Colourful gear looks better in photos, makes you more visible and is easier to tell apart. I'd get a glittering rainbow wing if I were you.

The burst disk is not a safety valve, it's an unnecessary complication implemented almost solely in the USA, the rest of the world dive just fine without them.

Colourful gear looks better in photos, makes you more visible and is easier to tell apart. I'd get a glittering rainbow wing if I were you.

A burst disc relieves pressure if it is over pressurized. That is a form of a safety valve.

Glitter would be too far....

Swimmer, you've got some very active dive clubs in your area, a really good online store (dans dive shop) and a great instructor (Doppler on scubaboard). Should be great for mentoring you into the lets pay a lot to see a bit more club.[emoji4]

It's only a safety feature if it's necessary. It's not necessary, so it's a complication. Though it has misguidedly been attributed to safety.

If it makes you happy and doesn't hurt anyone, including you, go for it! I wouldn't have glitter personally as it would be a nightmare with the lights in caves.

I'm kicking around the idea of trying a few tech classes in the future as well, . . . there are a few things I'm having trouble following

• Why a black mask frame? Seems like it blanks any chance of peripheral vision for large objects / shadows / motion. It really doesn't affect peripheral vision in any material way. I notice no difference between a black skirt and a clear skirt, with the same mask. Turn your head if you want to see more. Depending on the environment, a black mask may be easier to find on the bottom than a clear mask, if it comes off - it certainly is easier for me. But, the biggest reason, of course - real tec divers only wear black. (kidding)
  • Goodman handle light head – is something like a Light & Motion Sola light with a wrist mount okay? Any light that allows for attachment to the back of your hand is an improvement over a light that you have to grip (pistol grip or lantern grip). My can light head attaches with a 'soft' Goodman handle. I also very much like the neoprene Goodman gloves (Big Blue, Oxycheq) for flashlight-style lights.
  • Mask strap – any examples of strong / weak ones? (strong, will resist breaking) That is a tougher one. I seldom have mask strap breakage issues. I use the cheapest mask our shop sold (Sea Dive Caribbean) and they (and their straps) usually last for years, although I just noticed a nick in a strap this past weekend, on one of them. Get what mask you want, carry a back-up mask (and a replacement strap in your save-a-dive kit) . Life will be good.
  • Double burst disks – is the increased burst pressure from doubling the discs a safety issue for filling/storage? It could be. Don't double your disks. It is unnecessary. And, yes, I know that goes against the grain for some, including my primary dive buddy, who does. That's just my approach.
  • Pee valves – are diapers okay too? They are. I (really, really) prefer P valves.
  • Compass on left arm + steel stages and/or valves on left side = magnetic variation issues? (In the ocean, a compass is of paramount importance, and, without interfering with other activities, needs to be viewable and held in its correct orientation on the left hand.) Why would you be carrying steel stages clipped in a way that they will interfere with your compass? Seriously. In any event, when you use your compass it will (should) be in front of you, not attached to you stage / deco bottle. If you are worried, wear the compass on your right arm. Or, carry the compass in one of the pockets on your exposure suit, and pull it out when needed. Or, wear it on a retractor (and simply ignore all the people who will say you are gonna die if you use a retractor - you won't).
  • Max single wing size: is 40 pounds more realistic for big guys in drysuits with a steel tank? (if a diver does need more than 65 pounds of lift for diving doubles, or more than 30 pounds for diving singles, then they do not have a balanced rig) More realistic than what? 30 lbs? 50 lbs? I am fine for most single cylinder (AL or steel), wetsuit diving, with a 30lb wing. If I have to use a 40lb wing, I can. I have never needed anything bigger for single cylinder diving, wet or dry. But, your buoyancy may be different.
  • Fins – this thread is the first time I’ve seen Mares Avanti Quattro grouped with tech fins (jet fins, etc.). Are they stiff enough / acceptable for most tech diving? I don't find them useful for doubles diving. I LOVE my Quattros, for single cylinder diving. But, in doubles, particularly in doubles with deco bottles, I don't get the propulsion I want, and I definitely prefer my Jets. I encourage my tec students to go with a stiffer fin than the Quatrros which they are often using. I am not trying to sell gear. Rather, I believe a stiffer fin works better for many people diving doubles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom