Tech diving options in the islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks to everyone for the thoughts and suggestions. I can't make the TDI intro course Jo is teaching this month due scheduling conflicts. I'll be looking for a Rescue course in the near future and another offering of Intro/Fundies sometime after that.

Once you get trained up there are a number of good sites for tech dives on the island, probably a lot more I don't know about/have never dove. Here are a few that we've done:

Split Rock, good starter site at 150fsw
Secret Gardens, 140fsw
Friendship wreck, 190fsw
Biplane wreck, Haunama, 155 fsw
Helldiver plane wreck, 230fsw, west side
Great Wall, Hawaii Kai, 240fsw
Coal Barge, 200?fsw, Mamala Bay
Eyes of God, 140fsw-250fsw, West side
Leper's Pinnacle, 130fsw-220fsw, Kalapapa Molokai

I certainly don't want to get dragged into a PADI/non PADI, rebreather/non rebreather debate, but regardless of the way you go, there is stuff out there to see and explore beyond 130fsw. FYI, Jo is leaving for San Diego soon. He'll be back fairly regularly, but if you want to get Fundamentals training in better get to him quick. Jo@islanddivershawaii.com

One of these days, we need to make a side trip over to Oahu to do some of those dives! Tech diving in warm water with double 80's is as fun as it gets.

Psst...If you are a traveling tech diver, you might want to think about Sidemount. Since the techniques are pretty different from Backmount, you might want to decide Sidemount versus Backmount and then start down the road.

You can always find 80's when you travel. You might not be able to find doubles. In SM, all you need is 80's to dive doubles.

Back
Top Bottom