Tech diving options in the islands?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lonebrave

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The more I think about it, the more I'm interested in tech diving. I want more bottom time, to explore deeper sites, to explore wrecks and caves.

My diving background: PADI OW April 2011, AOW & EAN May 2011, Deep specialty March 2012. Plan to do Wreck specialty in a couple months. 50+ logged dives, all here in the islands (~60 max depth average). I'm already diving a BP/W and a long hose reg setup. I'm planning on buying Six Skills and Deco for Divers next month. I just finished the Harlow's Oxygen Hacker Companion. I feel no obligation or desire to stick with PADI for tech-level certs.

So I guess my questions are:
What's my next step? (an Intro to Tech course or AN/DP seems like the entry point)

Am I ready? I know that I don't know a lot, but what don't I know?

Other than getting into deco due to extended bottom times, what tech diving is available here in the islands? Is it worth starting down the tech road while here, or wait until I'm in a more tech-rich area?

Any recommendations for tech instructors locally? I've gathered a few names of people back on the mainland from reading here on SB, but I haven't run across any mentions of folks here in the islands.

So I guess my questions are:
What's my next step? (an Intro to Tech course or AN/DP seems like the entry point)
I would recommend getting a fundamentals class, you get a feel for the gear, you get a feel for what skills are required of you as a diver, and you will probably network with other tech divers or aspiring tech divers, getting a feeling for the community.

Am I ready? I know that I don't know a lot, but what don't I know?
The books you have put up on your list are very good books to start with; depending on what type of tech diving mainly interest you, you could perhaps pick up blue print for survival as well. In addition I would also recomend Doing It Right: The Fundamentals of Better Diving.

Other than getting into deco due to extended bottom times, what tech diving is available here in the islands? Is it worth starting down the tech road while here, or wait until I'm in a more tech-rich area?
Depends, if you are the adventurous type who don't mind hit and misses then there are a wast amount of undiscovered sites to be discovered around the islands. However there are not many known wrecks sites that are past recreational limits (and not into submarine territory), when it comes to nature dives beyond recreational limits I would imagine there are plenty of good sites to be discovered as well, and reading sea-topology maps could potentially give those sites away. Getting started on your tech journey is a good idea even if you see yourself moving off island. Most people spend some time mastering the different skills, and being able to practicing them in nice warm water with usually superb viz is always nice :)

Any recommendations for tech instructors locally? I've gathered a few names of people back on the mainland from reading here on SB, but I haven't run across any mentions of folks here in the islands.
I would recommend Jo as well, great guy with a lot of experience and knowledge.

EDIT: just noticed that Jo is hosting a Fundies class in the very near future: HUE Intro to Tech Class (TDI) | Facebook

I would like to add a point. If you see yourself doing more than 70 tech dives a year and have serious ambitions to go deep then you might want to consider going straight to rebreathers after a fundamental course (the fundamentals course will tech you skills that will be valuable even if you choose rebreathers). Reason for this is that a lot of the skills you will learn on OC tech is not directly transferable to rebreathers, and while you will probably learn many tricks going the OC tech route, you will have to, in many areas, start from scratch if you at a later point find that a rebreather is the right tool for the type of diving you want to do.
As rebreathers can "easily" work against you, you rather want to gain many hours on a unit in "safe waters" instead of rapidly going through the skill ladder later on in order to catch up.

if someone would say your ready for "tek" with 50+ dives under your belt isn't someone i'd send my loved ones to
I guess that's why most serious organizations have the fundamentals class, you have to prove that you master all the skills before you get a tech pass (unlike PADI rec where you pay for the plastic, but that's another debate).
You could easily start with less than 50 dives (and it might be a good thing as you don't have to unlearn a lot later on), however I think I read some where that 80% will not get the tech pass on the first try, which is a good thing as it tells that they actually have standards. It does however give you loads of pointers as to what to focus on and continue to train on until next time :) and I think most organizations let you try one more time within 6 months for free.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. An intro course seems to be exactly what I'm looking for...something to gauge where I'm at and what I need to work on to begin my journey down this road.

I would like to add a point. If you see yourself doing more than 70 tech dives a year and have serious ambitions to go deep then you might want to consider going straight to rebreathers after a fundamental course (the fundamentals course will tech you skills that will be valuable even if you choose rebreathers). Reason for this is that a lot of the skills you will learn on OC tech is not directly transferable to rebreathers, and while you will probably learn many tricks going the OC tech route, you will have to, in many areas, start from scratch if you at a later point find that a rebreather is the right tool for the type of diving you want to do.
As rebreathers can "easily" work against you, you rather want to gain many hours on a unit in "safe waters" instead of rapidly going through the skill ladder later on in order to catch up.

Any reason for the number 70? Why not 30 or 100? What doing rec and tech on the same system...how many dives then? Seriously curious here, as there are a couple rebreather courses available here (or in the near future) and back on the mainland in areas with family nearby. (and Mastering Rebreathers is on my short list to buy within the next couple months, too).

Any reason for the number 70? Why not 30 or 100? What doing rec and tech on the same system...how many dives then? Seriously curious here, as there are a couple rebreather courses available here (or in the near future) and back on the mainland in areas with family nearby. (and Mastering Rebreathers is on my short list to buy within the next couple months, too).
There was a calculation over at TDS that showed that rebreathers started to be more cost effective if you did 50 or so tech dives (160ft +) a year versus OC. If you plan for 70 tech dives you are more likely to actually do 50 :wink:

As has already been said, I would highly recommend doing the Fundamentals class with Jo, no matter what agency you envision doing your further training with. Fundamentals is a simple class -- simple things done PRECISELY -- and is surprisingly difficult for many people. As well, it is a good introduction to the kind of mindset used by technical divers. You'll enjoy it, and the class will give you a solid platform to take to whatever further training you do. Fundamentals is also entirely appropriate for someone with 50 dives, and can be done in a single tank BP/W setup. If you decide to do your future tech training with GUE, you can upgrade to a tech pass by getting an instructor evaluation in doubles with a canister light, and this can be done at any time.

Fundamentals level skills make all your recreational diving much more fun, too!

I guess that's why most serious organizations have the fundamentals class, you have to prove that you master all the skills before you get a tech pass (unlike PADI rec where you pay for the plastic, but that's another debate).

Wow! Nice way to throw a dart at all PADI instructors without any justification. Mastery of skills is required by the PADI Instructor manual. Yes, I enforce standards. Sounds to me like you've been around some instructors that don't...and you will find people like that in every dive training agency. So, if you had a bad experience, blame the instructor, not the agency.

Back
Top Bottom