(Tech) diving after partial knee replacement?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UTscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm currently facing a partial knee replacement, and have no idea how this will affect diving. I'm also wanting to start tech (advanced nitrox/deco procedures) this year.

I do know of someone who took a DCS hit from a 60ft dive with a very conservative profile after they'd had shoulder surgery, and the thought was that the scar tissue had impeded blood flow, and hence off gassing.

Have any of you had a partial knee? How soon after were you able to dive? How has it affected your diving?

I imagine you are gonna ask DAN as well and you just wanted to know if there were people in your situation who wanted to share their experience ?

I have had partial replacements on both knees, 2 years ago, not at the same time. I should have done it 10 years sooner. Hit a gym now, find a trainer that knows how to strengthen connective tissues. Start stretching now. After the surgery, do your physical therapy. You should be walking around with a walker the same day, I was able to ditch the walker in 2 weeks.

I had numb places on both legs after surgery, took about 4-5 months for the nerves to re-generate. I went to physical therapy 4 weeks every day after surgery, it will hurt. I then went back to the gym and started very light resistance training. Stretch every day. If you quit moving you will rust.

I was back in the water 2 months after surgery. I was cave diving 3 months after surgery. I dive side mount, so I was not carrying doubles. Due to my age, not the knees, I stopped doing long, deep dives. Most of the time 100 feet or less deep.I have had no deco issues that I am aware of. You may have some discomfort with a frog kick, mine went away with practice.

My surgery was not too bad.Remember, Ice is your friend.

I imagine you are gonna ask DAN as well and you just wanted to know if there were people in your situation who wanted to share their experience ?

lol yes, more looking for the anecdotal here, but thank you for the reminder never hurts to be pointed that way

I have had partial replacements on both knees, 2 years ago, not at the same time. I should have done it 10 years sooner. Hit a gym now, find a trainer that knows how to strengthen connective tissues. Start stretching now. After the surgery, do your physical therapy. You should be walking around with a walker the same day, I was able to ditch the walker in 2 weeks.

I had numb places on both legs after surgery, took about 4-5 months for the nerves to re-generate. I went to physical therapy 4 weeks every day after surgery, it will hurt. I then went back to the gym and started very light resistance training. Stretch every day. If you quit moving you will rust.

I was back in the water 2 months after surgery. I was cave diving 3 months after surgery. I dive side mount, so I was not carrying doubles. Due to my age, not the knees, I stopped doing long, deep dives. Most of the time 100 feet or less deep.I have had no deco issues that I am aware of. You may have some discomfort with a frog kick, mine went away with practice.

My surgery was not too bad.Remember, Ice is your friend.

so ice diving is what I should be doing first then? :wink:

Thank you, that was very helpful

I had a total knee replacement on left knee in mid May last year. Strictly followed all PT advice and ditched crutches after one week. As the Doc said with the exercises, no pain no gain, soooo went through pain but all worth it and got full range of motion back in the knee.
Was back in the water four weeks after surgery (staples removed and skin had healed - Doc said go for it).
I was back teaching courses, DSD's, guiding dives etc and no problems encountered.
Did my TDI Advanced Nitrox & Deco mid September and had no problems and done numerous dives to 40M+ on 12L steel twins & Al deco tank since with no problems. These dives are always from a boat so no humping all this heavy kit around on me on beaches etc, which I personally will not do apart from single tank dives.

Still got a few common TKR issues but they will go with time (partial numbness on left side of knee, thigh muscle still weaker than right) but time, exercises, stretching the knee and patience is the key to full recovery. I don't dive lopsided either:) but the weight difference between bone removed and implants is only 300 grams (appx).
I find frog kick is ok, and before the TKR I got real pain when doing frog kick and could not even when using lightweight fins.

Do the exercises at the recommended intervals and as said above the pain zone and ice are your best friends to recovery.

Good luck and I am sure all will be well.

Back
Top Bottom