Tech Computer advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like DA Aquasmaters pointed out, different computers have different algorithms and for that reason will result in different deco profiles... So, depending on the computer you buy, you might be the only one with a 20 min deco stop at 20ft when everybody else in the group (assuming you're not taking this training alone) has only a 10 min requirement... what will you do? Well, there are several different answers to this question, depending on the type of computer you have (some will lockout for 48hrs if you miss the stop, some won't), profiles, … but I don't want to go in these sort of details here.

My point is, if the instructor requires a computer for the class, he should have recommended one or at least said to you the type of decompression model the computer should have (ZH-L16, ZH-L8, VPM-B, RGBM...), so as to avoid having to deal with different deco profiles (like the example above) or an outrageous deco obligation (like some popular Rec dive computers do) underwater...

So, to the OP, why don't ask the instructor which computer he dives with?

Yall are too funny.

You give advice about something I did not ask for and act as if I have personally offended you for ignoring it. I really do not care about anyones opinion of my instructor as I have said and you all are ignoring. Why do you all care so much that I bow down to your wise and most informed advice as if it was really true. If seven people think something is true on the internet it does not make it true or well informed. it is just agreement of seven people. many more than seven thought the world was flat.
please do not offer advice if you are so attached to it that you are willing to attack the poster for ignoring it, it is just bad form.

it is useful by the way to consider the issues of multiple algorithms on different computers and the effects on buddy teams and the use of tables along with computers and on another thread I would be very interested in it.

too funny posting my coment on visibility, you should have dug deeper I have made many more stupid coments than that, you should look on other boards too. Either way thanks all for the on topic contributions.

Ps. Exley's book "Caverns Measurless to Man" is priceless for you all that think you can only do what you are trained to do.
(and yes he died doing it).

Technical divers are a funny lot. They compare in many respects to the aviation community, where the norm is to view the death of a fellow pilot as something that he brought on himself by screwing up. Which translated means "If I don't screw up, I'll be fine", which if accompanied by an inflated ego degrades to "I can do that because I am a much better pilot and never screw up".

The difference is that it is to some degree that reasoning is much more true in technical diving and in particular cave diving where:

1. the environment is more controlled than in aviation, and
2. a death is almost universally due to breaking one of the cardinal rules refined through accident analysis - or (lately) due to a rebreather problem.

But the commonality is a tendency toward complacency, a belief that following the rules is going to keep you safe, and a certain arrogance in "knowing" when it is ok to break a rule. Following trhe rules is important but in and of itself it is not sufficient as just following rules will not cut it in all situations. You still need to be actively thinking to stay ahead of the curve on any given dive as depth and time induced stress can seriously degrade your ability to problem solve on the spot if you haven't worked things out in advance or anticipated what could happen and avoided the situation in the first place.

And it can be a fine line. Not running a line from OW to the main line in Ginnie is a commonly broken rule. Post a thread discussing that and you will find both some fairly prudent and reasonable justifications why people do not run a line, but also some significant indicators in some people of serious complacency issues to which they are basically oblivious. (Something I also found in the aviation community). It makes an interesting read most of the time.

There is also an element of the community policing itself. To be honest, not everyone is going to care about a dumb ass OW diver killing themself in a cave, but the entire community does get very concerned about the consequences of OW divers killing themselves in caves if it risks losing access to caves by those with proper training.

In the past the vast majority of cave deaths occurred with divers who had no cave training, or to a lesser extent, exceeding their training. Lately the dynamic has changed as trained cave divers are dying in greater numbers. This is most likely due to many divers attempting much more advanced and extreme goal oriented dives, often after a "too far, too fast" progression in the sport. (Another commonality I see with aviator community is the tendency for young aggressive divers/pilots to push the envelope too far with too little judgement, all to frequently resulting in their death. To many young pilots and divers see themselves as bullet proof.)

So...in the end in any technical diving oriented forum you will get a lot of really opinionated people who often argue with each other but generally still respect each other - once they have each more or less paid their dues and demonstrated that they have an informed opinion based on first hand experience and training.

Until then, it is best to just not try and play in the traffic so to speak. Nod your head, say thanks and just drive on if you don't agree with something - but file it away as the odds are some day the light bulb will come on and you will either change your perspective on it, or at least understand the other perspective and see some value in it.

----

I agree with you on the Sheck Exley comment. At least in terms of the lack of evolution that would occur if no one ever exceeded the limits of their training (as opposed to the limits of their ability), or the lack of evolution in configuration and equipment if no one ever tried anything new. The caution here though is that you have to expand the envelope very slowly, carefully and incrementally with full knowledge of what the risks and requirements are.

Exley did an awful lot for cave diving, but his death was, in the big picture, senseless. The risks were exreme, the dangers well known, the margin razor thin, and the benefits both fleeting and essentially worthless. He'd have been far more valuable to the cave community if he had scaled it back a bit and taken a longer view as he frankly would have stayed alive and contributed a lot more to cave diving than just another record attempt.

which if accompanied by an inflated ego degrades to "I can do that because I am a much better pilot and never screw up".

Funny how that rule also translates to politics.

I do not know the OP but do know from having read the equipment required list that the following class requires a 3 gas tek computer
Dive Training with John Chatterton & Capt Gary Mace

IF that was the class I was taking, I would have to talk to the instructor first. The computer requirement even states that tables will be used for the class but that "they want you to have a real computer". Those two statements don't jive, so I would have to discuss that first.

IF that was the class I was taking, I would have to talk to the instructor first. The computer requirement even states that tables will be used for the class but that "they want you to have a real computer". Those two statements don't jive, so I would have to discuss that first.

I understand. I just finished my adv nitrox/deco class thru Naui and it was all tables for us. Just thought I would show that there are some instructors requiring a puter.

I do not know the OP but do know from having read the equipment required list that the following class requires a 3 gas tek computer
Dive Training with John Chatterton & Capt Gary Mace
From the link above:

<< Required Equipment

This equipment list is somewhat long and detailed; however, this is the life support equipment that you need for the program. We have tried not to burden you with unnecessary equipment purchases of items you will never use. We have chosen the items on this list because they will be used by you in the program, and they are absolutely necessary for you to manage the inherent risk of the wreck environment as you venture beyond the course. The bottom line is that you need all of this stuff. We cannot take you into an overhead environment unarmed, or unprepared. If the necessary equipment is a problem for you, then perhaps you should reconsider your goals?

Note: All gear can be purchased thru Conch Republic Divers and shipped to your house before the class. Contact us so we can get your gear purchased and delivered before the class.

Dive Computer – A quality Tek dive computer, which can handle a minimum of 3 gases is necessary. For dive planning, you will be working with tables for the course, but we want all participants to have a real dive computer as well. >>

So a computer is life support equipment that is absolutely needed ?

Very convenient they will sell you one before the class! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom