Tech Computer advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I taught technical courses with tables, but allowed students who had computers to use them. I saw a distinct advantage to students being able to compare the information from their tables to their computers in real time during the dive. In my opinion, it more accurately reflected the way they would be diving after the course.

Computers are expensive, unlike dry suits, rebreathers, regulators, etc, etc.. That is unfortunate, and you are not telling me anything I don't know, but that is also the way it is. The equipment we use is enabling, and we cannot do without, simply because it is expensive. The question is what do we need to have to make any particular dive happen.

I want to teach students the way I dive, with computers and tables. If I have philosophical differences with a potential student, then I believe they are better off with another instructor. That simple.

Dive Portal is done. Sorry. It was fun to do, but it took a lot of time, and was not paying the bills.

Cheers

JC

(OK, absolutely needed) to a rebreather diver, but for open circuit? I would have thought that the basics of deco schedule, bottom timer, and back up computer would be the best AT THIS POINT. Shouldn't new deco divers be spending time practicing propper planning (you know, the old 7 P's)? Practicing maintaining blue-water deco hangs and making gas switches? Maybe I just talked to too many old-timers when I started this path. Do you not think that new tech divers should be practicing the basics first before worrying about programable, trimix capable, multi-thousand dollar computer?

PS, whats the story with Dive Portal DVDs? 1-3 got me through my diving withdrawls for a year in Iraq. Is #4 coming?[/QUOTE]

JC:

Bravo! I haven't looked at these posts in some time (day jobs always get in the way), and I don't post often as there are way too many opinions, but I want to say thanks for your pragmatic approach to instruction. The fact is, as instructors, many of us will still teach the tables, both in recreational and technical diving, but realize the advantages of having the proper computer as well. Even in recreational instruction, I ask students what they plan to do and where they plan to go before I give items to look at for purchase to make their diving experience better.

To All:
I found this thread as I searched for more information on the liquidvision computer, or others I can use in my Trimix and move to CCR w/o buying 3 more computers over the next two years. I tend to look for versatility and future longevity, and applaud JC for taking a potential student into the future of diving and offering options. I still own a Orca Edge (the "brick"), but I don't plan to use it anymore, and I wouldn't want to have a student buy something that is just wrong.

JC - see you next time you're in Morehead.

Mike

To suggest one NEEDS a trimix computer to do deep trimix dives is silly.

For an instructor to require its use, however, is his right.

If your moving on to Trimix I would reccomend the Dive Rite Nitek X.

I was tempted to get a Nitek - until I actually dove one. Not bad, but not great and certainly not the big improvement I exptected after the long wait for it. It is over priced for what it offers and I'd go with a Shearwater Pursuit for less money and more capability.

I hope the Snake reference is just a typo and not Freaudian slip. either way this Thread has been useful, I certainly got all and more than I asked for. I am looking forward to beginining my Tech training.

I am going through my Deco and Adv/Nitrox now and I am using a VR3. He advised me my computer will fail during the course and I will have to calculate the rest of the dive without my computers. So make sure you know how to use the tables.

Training for computer failure is training for the real world. Your instructor knows what he is doing and has your best interest in mind.

I often abbreviate while typing. Sailnaked, boils down to Snaked. No Freudian slip, but numerous voices in my head.

Cheers

JC

I'm looking into the same training. I currently have a Suunto Vytec. I am required to have redundant time, depth, and pressure. If I want to purchase another computer, fine, but am to use it in gauge mode. The class is based on tables to learn the concepts. I was encouraged to first look at how I planned to dive in the future. If I planned to use trimix, to buy a computer that is specifically designed for it (using my Vytec as a backup). If I was intending to stay at 150 ft or less, I only needed a second two gas computer or redundant analog gauges.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom