Tech Computer advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I get it. It is an internet thing. you ask one question and the thread goes off on a tangent about some small part of how you asked it.
I did not include a significant piece of information and now I do not wish to include it because given the responses people that are not familiar with all the specifics would draw an inaccurate conclusions and the thread would devolve even farther

. If I stated the instructors name you all would say something like "Oh well you should have said that in the first place" and yes you all would know the name. enough said the instructor is top shelf.

I am certain I will learn to use the tables and bottom timers and a lot more.

I believe with no one against the shearwater that it fits in my budget and is acceptable for this kind of training and diving.
The computer is a back up, but is also very useful if the fit hits the shan. and to cover all bases at the outset while learning.

No, it's not an internet thing, it's an experience thing. You have been told by many people now that your instructor is feeding you crap. You choose to ignore the advice. That's your choice, but don't get all huffy and righteous becuase you don't like the voice of reason.

No, it's not an internet thing, it's an experience thing. You have been told by many people now that your instructor is feeding you crap. You choose to ignore the advice. That's your choice, but don't get all huffy and righteous because you don't like the voice of reason.

So if Sheck Exley was teaching you a cave diving course and told you to get a computer but Fire_Diver on the internet told you that he was feeding you a line of crap would you go back to Sheck and say "but Fire_Diver says....." Honestly It is an internet thing, the ability to give free advice as if it was priceless nuggets of gold with no knowledge of the specifics.

Voice of reason :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Ok I bit, sorry can I still be a :dork2: ?

. If I stated the instructors name you all would say something like "Oh well you should have said that in the first place" and yes you all would know the name. enough said the instructor is top shelf.

If you are soo certain the instructor is top shelf (not saying that he or she isnt) why not just say their name?

Ok I get it. It is an internet thing. you ask one question and the thread goes off on a tangent about some small part of how you asked it.
I did not include a significant piece of information and now I do not wish to include it because given the responses people that are not familiar with all the specifics would draw an inaccurate conclusions and the thread would devolve even farther

I must respectfully disagree with your assessment.

I don't believe that anyone is responding with any perceived insight into (or care about) the identity of your would-be instructor.

Rather, they/we are posting based on understandings and beliefs about diving, and what is common (right or wrong, for better or for worst) in dive training worldwide.

Even if you were to come say that your instructor is the scientific spawn of Cousteau and Exley, it wouldn't change whether or not the information you provided passes the giggle test in this context. The further addition that you need a computer because you will be task loaded merely adds to the giggle side of the equation.

I'll echo my earlier post: if you plan to dive using a computer in the future, by all means get one. You received some great advice regarding models from DA Aquamaster and others. However, if you plan to dive using desktop models, tables, ratio-deco, or other methods which don't rely upon real-time a decompression computer, it may be best to find an instructor with whom you are more compatible.

I was told, I could ONLY use my computer as a bottom timer for the course. Maybe things have changed....

Thats what i was saying. i pretty much use the shearwater as a very expensive bottom timer. that was how i used it for class and how i continue to use it.

brett

The nitrox capable Shearwater has come up fast in price over the last few months - now basically $1070 US as opposed to about $700 US 4-5 months ago.

The price hasn't changed. The exchange rate between Canadian Dollar and US Dollar has.

Thats what i was saying. i pretty much use the shearwater as a very expensive bottom timer. that was how i used it for class and how i continue to use it.

brett

Why would you use a very well designed decompression computer that calculates decompression based on actual depths, time, and Gradient Factors, as opposed to a dive table which assumes a square profile?

So if Sheck Exley was teaching you a cave diving course and told you to get a computer but Fire_Diver on the internet told you that he was feeding you a line of crap would you go back to Sheck and say "but Fire_Diver says....." Honestly It is an internet thing, the ability to give free advice as if it was priceless nuggets of gold with no knowledge of the specifics.

Whoa...:).

You asked the question. LOL

Like said before, dive however you want. If you want to buy a multi-gas deco computer for the deco procedures class, go ahead. You are correct the internet (and indeed MOST) advice is worth what you payed for it. You should however, really look into the fact that multiple persons, responding to your queswtion gave the same advice. There might be a hint of truth in it.

I still recommend that you talk to you intructor about his requirements and his reasonings. THEN talk to other instructors, and thier thoughts about those previous ideas.

And no, I won't be sucked into your baiting for a fight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom