TEC OC vs Tec Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sskiver01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all sorry is in wrong spot , new to the forum. Here is my question. I have been long time cert but just reentered diving I travel mostly once a year usually overseas SE Asia mostly looking to expand looking to do some live-aboard as well, Reason i'm looking to move to TEC oc or rebreather is for wreck diving and photography. Most of the places i dive you can dive with-in rec limits but some of the big-ones Truk, Red Sea, Cyprus, Malta, Hremies exct, are way past rec limits I take one month off a year to go diving. I understand the safety concerns not diving tec that often. Ok so is it feasible only diving once a year tec, support overseas oc vs Rebreather I'm a bit more interested in rebreather as i can still dive close to home with out doing Tec diving, but worried about finding shops or live-aboards able to support rebreather? I do try to dive close to home rest of the year but due to job only home once a month? thanks in advance sorry for long post.

Skill Fade
CCR is obviously a more complex skillset, and not particularly aided by non-CCR experience. Infrequent CCR diving is probably more risk-prone due to skill fade, compared to OC tech. You need a lot more CURRENT hours on CCR to think about running decompression or trimix dives from one, compared to OC.

Initial Investment
CCR Tec will cost a lot more than OC in respect to your initial outlay on equipment and training. Most CCR Tec divers would calculate a return on their investment through saved future gas costs. However, that return on investment is usage dependant. It's prudent to balance the initial financial outlay against the frequency of future diving and operating cost savings.

Running Costs
Owning a CCR is like owning a boat. It can be a money pit. Even sat in storage there's a bunch of maintenance and service costs that'll apply over the year. OC gear requires a lot less upkeep and doesn't cost much to store.

No didn’t forget though maybe was part of the training! But obviously not that’s why people ask these questions before going down one road or the next ! Not everyone has supper information thought that is what forums were for ? Guess I’m thought wrong on that too!

No didn’t forget though maybe was part of the training! But obviously not that’s why people ask these questions before going down one road or the next ! Not everyone has supper information thought that is what forums were for ? Guess I’m thought wrong on that too!

None of this was an attack on you. Just reiteration for those people coming across this thread with the same question.

Questions are good!

During training you’ll practice oc bailout stuff but it’s not “real”.

In an emergency, you won’t rise to the occasion. You’ll fall back to what you have truly mastered.

By some of the logic implied here,I would guess a Deep Air class and practice would be in order as HE is not readily available when traveling to some of those destinations.:stirpot::rofl3::popcorn::bicker:

I don't really have a dog in this hunt as it is illegal to spearfish on a RB most of the places I go,but I agree that mastering OC(and particularly a setup as similar as possible to my final goal configuration) is a prerequisite for any tech path I'd take.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom