Teamwork

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be interested to hear from ccr divers as rebreather adds a whole different factor compared to OC.

Let's say you're in a deep wreck or cave and your buddy is stuck, not panicking but it will take time to release him/her. Your decotime is growing by the minute, in what point you would think that you need to leave your buddy. Are you willing to trust your ccr enough to stay and help even when there isn't enough BO gas to get you back safely on OC?

To a simple oc diver as me it seems that ccr diver could be able to "gamble" in a really dire situation.

Been there, done that. I did not leave my buddy and risked my own live by trusting my rebreather well past my OC bailout reserves by several hours.

I would do the same thing again without hesitation.

Absolutely. I'll sit there all day and work the problem to keep my friend alive.

"Time" is one of the biggest advantages of having a rebreather.
^^^^

If my CCR is working (and odds are it will continue to work), I will do whatever it takes to help them solve their problem. Because chances are really good that if it's taking two of us significant time to deal with the issue, it will take more than twice as long or be completely impossible for a diver to solve it solo. So if I left, it would probably be the last time I saw them alive.

Although I think the Plura tragedy is probably salient as an example here. Having us both calmly sitting there at 120m solving an entanglement issue or being stuck is highly unlikely. On that double CCR fatality both of the stuck divers perished rapidly.

On the rec side here, but the answer is it depends. I take my responsibility as a buddy seriously. I dive frequently with my son, and now occasionally with my wife. The difference in that situation is I feel responsible FOR my buddy, whereas in an instabuddy or dive buddy I feel responsible TO my buddy. I will attempt to articulate the difference in my mind.

Responsible FOR, means I will die before I would give up and leave my son or wife. I knowingly accept that responsibility and try to mitigate risk as much as possible, but if push comes to shove there isn't really a choice to be made for me. They as divers are responsible for themselves, and they are responsible divers and attentive buddies. My son especially is trained to dive off to my right side about a foot or 2 in front of me, if he is out I of position I give him and openhand right arm signal and he gets in position. This came into play after a few dives of him being close to me but all over the place. My neck hurt and I was twisting and rolling to keep track of him. We established our routine and it works for us. My wife is newly certified and I keep close proximity to her, and if my son is in a trio with us I have explained that it is even more important that I don't have to search for him as my main focus is on my wife due to inexperience. Just as when I take people caving, hiking, white water rafting, sky diving or any other activity that has inherent danger, if I brought you I have a responsibility to bring you back. When that person is family the pressure is even heavier.

When I am partnered with an instabuddy or an experienced diver I know, I feel a responsibility TO my buddy. This means that I will do all that I can to be a quality buddy that stays close, is attentive, and will attempt to help my buddy in distress in any way that I SAFELY can. I will not die because of another divers stupidity or bad decisions though. The buddy is responsible FOR himself, I am responsible FOR myself, and we have a responsibility TO each other to help each other safely complete the dive.

So to abandon my buddy would take them being irresponsible, unresponsive to redirection, and a threat to my safety to continue with them. Anything else is me being irresponsible and dangerous in my opinion.

^^^^

If my CCR is working (and odds are it will continue to work), I will do whatever it takes to help them solve their problem. Because chances are really good that if it's taking two of us significant time to deal with the issue, it will take more than twice as long or be completely impossible for a diver to solve it solo. So if I left, it would probably be the last time I saw them alive.

Although I think the Plura tragedy is probably salient as an example here. Having us both calmly sitting there at 120m solving an entanglement issue or being stuck is highly unlikely. On that double CCR fatality both of the stuck divers perished rapidly.
Yeah man, I couldn’t live with myself if I effectively killed my buddy because I was a little scared.

There are only two situations I have allowed myself to not follow team/buddy diving and I hated them and I never want to do it again unless it's a designated solo/split up dive where everyone is capable and comfy with solo diving. The closest I am to 'tech' is nitrox, being able to dive for work, and using a BPW but other than that I'm basically a rec diver.

1. My group split up and I acted as a visual relay to make sure no one person gets separated from everyone. I've only done this in very good vis on a rec dive and will never do it in bad vis. One diver was a photographer and apparently everyone else was fine leaving him alone to photograph crap and he wasn't paying attention to how far away everyone else was.

2. A 3 diver group in a relatively 'safe' situation (very shallow shore dive but bad vis) and I had the choice of being separated from a highly inexperienced and not ready diver or a very experienced and capable diver. The inexperienced one was zooming off and not paying attention to signals and I couldn't grab them to stop them. The experienced diver got separated from us about 15 minutes into the shore dive and I decided to stay with the other diver and hope I could grab her to get her to turn around and surface closer to shore out of the river current.

Absolutely. I'll sit there all day and work the problem to keep my friend alive.

"Time" is one of the biggest advantages of having a rebreather.

Exactly right. A rebreather allows you more time for diving and more importantly, it gives you more time to sort out issues. I will stay as long as it takes to get my buddy free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom