Teamwork

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if tech. would present different situations, but I'll talk rec. diving only--
Simple philosophy of mine--
If you are buddy diving and agree to always stick together than that is your number one priority. I am "guilty" of constantly checking where my buddy is--perhaps every 5-10 seconds. Thus, positioning is important or you get a sore neck, or something else.
If on on the other you agree to something else--perhaps some situations when you plan to separate or do if this or that happens-- then OK. You've agreed on that. Most anything goes if it has been agreed upon so there are no surprises.
I almost always go solo, but have had several great buddies in the past (they were just like ME!), and some OTHERS....
Being a good buddy takes a lot of work. I like the comradery, but not the work.

What you put in quotes is quite misleading because itimplies that if you have a problem and call thedive, I'm going to wave you off and keep going.That's not an option.

I agree that's not an option. Apparently others don't, this particular scenario has played itself out over and over again. Heck, 25 years ago on a dive I did something similar, but my buddies ripped me a new ******* after the dive.

So, for those of you that think it's ok to wave goodbye to a person that's having problems because they should be capable of being self sufficient, have you told your buddies that's your mo?

So, for those of you that think it's ok to wave goodbye to a person that's having problems because they should be capable of being self sufficient, have you told your buddies that's your mo?

Oh hell no
Problem = I am staying closer not letting you go wander off/home alone. I am not going to have an enjoyable dive if you wave goodbye and exit alone - I'm going to be stressing about "if you made it". I'd rather exit together and we can dive again some other time. I have hung out and done 20+ extra minutes of deco (in 40F water) with someone having a problem. I was just extra clean that day.

A friend of mine had this particular thing happen to him a few weeks ago. He was having a few problems and his buddy bailed on him. After, the buddy was anything but apologetic -- "you should have been self sufficient to get out" type.

A friend of mine had this particular thing happen to him a few weeks ago. He was having a few problems and his buddy bailed on him. After, the buddy was anything but apologetic -- "you should have been self sufficient to get out" type.

What is the communication that did or didn't happen? i.e. did your friend turn the dive and the other dude said no?

Recreational diving there is literally no excuse to leave your buddy. It is recreational diving, you just freaking surface!

Technical/cave I guess I could, after a while, come up with a scenario in which you would need to leave your buddy, like he/she/they were trying to stab you, or they dropped acid and are now trying to bite off your ear or some **** like that. But other than that, no.

And there is no way I would let a buddy (in a team of 3) exit with a "minor" gear problem as 2 continued to dive. You exit with your buddy, regardless. I can always dive again. That actually happened in Mexico a few years ago, team of 4, one buddy had a gear issue, so I signaled I would exit with him, get OK's all around, as we are swimming out a realize there are lights behind me, everyone came out. Got our buddy out, recalculated gas and had a fun dive with 3.

Diving is not Thunderdome, everyone enters and everyone leaves. Why is that so hard to grasp.

Diving is not Thunderdome, everyone enters and everyone leaves. Why is that so hard to grasp.

I've been trying to figure that out too. A guy that I thought knew better abandoned a friend of mine that had a broken fin and a dead primary light, then tried to defend his actions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom