Teamwork

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been trying to figure that out too. A guy that I thought knew better abandoned a friend of mine that had a broken fin and a dead primary light, then tried to defend his actions.

That is pretty screwed up.

I've been trying to figure that out too. A guy that I thought knew better abandoned a friend of mine that had a broken fin and a dead primary light, then tried to defend his actions.

I’d love to hear his reasoning.

I love the team aspect of diving. So much so I incorporate that into my open water course. I make sure my students know why we dive with buddies and why it is never acceptable to swim off because "squirrel"

I also talk to them about positioning so that one is not always breaking their neck to see the other (mainly because this is a pet peeve of mine when diving with people).

I teach it and I dive it for recreational dives and for tech dives. Of course when I am teaching I am a solo diver and I have given some thought to taking a self-reliant course and doing some solo diving. However, for now, all the diving I am doing will be in a team of two or three.

When is it ok to leave a buddy/teammate? I suppose there are many answers to this depending on where you dive and the dives you are doing but I will stick with my buddy at all cost unless being with them could cost me my life. Like we are taught in rescue and in tech courses, better to have one victim than to have two. As tech divers we are also trained to be self-reliant and be able to finish any dive we are doing alone. However, if you can finish it with your buddy, why not? Redundant brain and all being what it is.

If my buddy has a failure and needs to turn the dive, we turn together. We can always dive again later that day, tomorrow or a week from now. It would not bother me at all.

if there are no no issues-
i wont leave an equally experienced buddy unless we have a prior plan or signal to do so
i wont leave a less experienced buddy

if there are issues -(issues being potential cascading ones)
i wont leave an equally experienced buddy
i wont leave a less experienced buddy

if the issues are minor then we really need to assess what we can and cant do-rather than end the dive we might change the dive plan so maybe no deco or no penetration etc depends on the situation
but sill stay together

if my buddy leaves me without consultation or signalling -ill discuss after the dive and put that into consideration for later dive trips -as alluded to by others the more demanding the dive the more selective i am of my buddies
there are same divers that I know will leave me and go do their own thing so im always prepared to be self reliant regardless so i wont do plan any challenging diving with them because of that

I'd be interested to hear from ccr divers as rebreather adds a whole different factor compared to OC.

Let's say you're in a deep wreck or cave and your buddy is stuck, not panicking but it will take time to release him/her. Your decotime is growing by the minute, in what point you would think that you need to leave your buddy. Are you willing to trust your ccr enough to stay and help even when there isn't enough BO gas to get you back safely on OC?

To a simple oc diver as me it seems that ccr diver could be able to "gamble" in a really dire situation.

I'd be interested to hear from ccr divers as rebreather adds a whole different factor compared to OC.

Let's say you're in a deep wreck or cave and your buddy is stuck, not panicking but it will take time to release him/her. Your decotime is growing by the minute, in what point you would think that you need to leave your buddy. Are you willing to trust your ccr enough to stay and help even when there isn't enough BO gas to get you back safely on OC?

To a simple oc diver as me it seems that ccr diver could be able to "gamble" in a really dire situation.

Absolutely. I'll sit there all day and work the problem to keep my friend alive.

"Time" is one of the biggest advantages of having a rebreather.

Absolutely. I'll sit there all day and work the problem to keep my friend alive.

"Time" is one of the biggest advantages of having a rebreather.

This.

Back
Top Bottom