Team member fatality - Truk Lagoon, Micronesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Truk Lagoon, also known as Chuuk Lagoon, is part of the Federated States of Micronesia. This report is from Dirty Dozen Expeditions' Facebook page and may drift down the page in time so I will quote it in its entirety here.

Aron Arngrímsson
·
It is with great sadness that we have to announce that we lost our team mate Amanda on our current trip in Truk Lagoon. She was on the trip with her partner Robert and had a big presence in the diving community.
Technical Diving is a activity that connects people and on every single trip we connect with our team members as they were our own family. Amanda was no different, which makes this very hard to process.
Amanda, you are still with us on this trip in spirit and we honor your memory on each dive. Our love and prayers go out to Robert and her family in this incredibly difficult time.
Robert and her family has asked the diving community the following: “We fully support the DAN investigation about the cause of her death. Amanda would want any information that this investigation identifies to be released to the diving community to continue improving dive safety. Amanda would also want you to know the dive profile was unremarkable and she got back on the boat with no issues. We ask any speculation to be held until the investigation is completed.”

Amanda would also want you to know the dive profile was unremarkable and she got back on the boat with no issues.
I'm guessing with the all the tech equipment that group has.....It probably includes every type of gas analyzer including a CO one,,, as well as a stack of laptops loaded with every decompression model software available to download & review her dives before the boat even hit's shore.

Sad deal.

"Amanda would also want you to know the dive profile was unremarkable and she got back on the boat with no issues. We ask any speculation to be held until the investigation is completed"

So post dive complication.

I'm a long-time friend of the skipper of the boat and have dived with his oepration (not this one though) over 100 times. Sad news.

I'm guessing with the all the tech equipment that group has.....It probably includes every type of gas analyzer including a CO one,,, as well as a stack of laptops loaded with every decompression model software available to download & review her dives before the boat even hit's shore.
Are they equipped with a deck recompression chamber? ’Just curious.

SeaRat

The Truk Master is not equipped with one.
I was there a week ago. They are using the old Taka which is now known as the Pacific Master. I can't remember where the Truk Master is these days. Getting ready for Bikini I think.

No, there is no chamber on board. There is one on Weno though.

I was there a week ago. They are using the old Taka which is now known as the Pacific Master. I can't remember where the Truk Master is these days. Getting ready for Bikini I think.

No, there is no chamber on board. There is one on Weno though.
The for the correction. The only boat operating technical charters in that area that I know of is the boat Pete Mesley uses for his one off Bikini charters.

Back
Top Bottom