Teaching High School Marine Science class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A number of schools from all over the country have ordered my DVD "Return of the Plankton." It is a good overview of critters and how the underwater food web changes with the seasons in the Pacific Northwest cold water.

School Library Journal (November 2005) page 70:
"Narrated by a high school science teacher and the videographer, the outstanding information and beautiful scenery makes for an unusually engaging film...The technical aspects are excellent, the narration is easy to follow, and terms are defined as necessary. What makes this film noteworthy is the supurb photography. Sea plants and animals are clearly shown in their natural habitat, making this underwater world come alive."

The DVD can be ordered from my web site.

If you're adventuresome, you might also take a look at the book, "Build Your Own Underwater Robot," Harry Bohm and Vickie Jensen. Numerous high schools have used this for class projects, building inexpensive ROVs that can carry a camera payload. There are even competitions between schools. In our county, the schools have managed to get some volunteer help from the local navy and marine contractors.

Cool! Thank you very much; I will definitely check out the web site. The ROV model making sounds like fun too.

Hi Everyone,

I see that these posts happened years ago, but if anyone is still looking, I have an interesting addition. I am a former middle school science teacher and scuba instructor that has recently started a nonprofit, after-school program that teaches students from low-income communities science through scuba diving. I wrote a curriculum which aligns the state standards for science with the scuba diver training. If anyone is still interested in it, I'd love to send it out! Please just email me at zach@schooba.org. And if you google, 'schooba' you should be able to see a bit more about our program. Take care!!

Since you live in Florida, you might want to think about showing Waters Journey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom