Tdi not dir

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krumpet

New
Reaction score
Hi, doing my first tdi courses & have bought some ds4's I routed the hoses the same as dirdiver.com but my instructor wants us to have 2 spg's. what's the views on this & when I do I cant get my regs set up as good. This guy is anti dir & thinks his way is the better way with everything:shakehead: If I could get a refund & do it with someone else I would. I think a tdi Instructor that doesn't know dir & how to set up a manifold because he only dived indys & now a breather is not good.

Hi, doing my first tdi courses & have bought some ds4's I routed the hoses the same as dirdiver.com but my instructor wants us to have 2 spg's. what's the views on this & when I do I cant get my regs set up as good. This guy is anti dir & thinks his way is the better way with everything:shakehead: If I could get a refund & do it with someone else I would. I think a tdi Instructor that doesn't know dir & how to set up a manifold because he only dived indys & now a breather is not good.

I don't know DIR from Shinola, but it's his course.

It's going to be very frustrating dealing with someone who feels his way is the right way.... :wink:

If you have to stick with him, just view it as another diving challenge to master....then make your adjustments after the course. :D

By the way, did he provide a rationale for the extra spg?

Dave C

I agree with what dave4868 said.

Also, if you want a DIR course you have to take a DIR course, you can't expect other agencies to follow DIR practices. It is a TDI course, and since you are already in it, I would complete it. Follow the instructors wishes and ask questions about how and why he does what he does. If you want a DIR based course, contact one of the GUE instructors in your area:
GUE Instructors | Global Underwater Explorers
(there are 2 in Aus. at the bottom of the list)
That way you can compare the 2 methods and diving styles, and will only be better for it.

That is not an agency standard it is an instructor standard. If he is comfortable using indies then that explains the added spg. If having a second spg is a deal breaker for you then move on. Sounds like you want a DIR course to me. Then you should find one. If you are open to new ideas then stay with your TDI instructor. Perhaps you and him should debate the merits of indies (on your own time). Just don't expect the instructor to conform to your preconceived notions. It will make for a less productive class for both you and any other students.

You have the sense not to dive double independents, and your TDI instructor clearly does not. From what you have said about him, I would say take the loss on the money you gave him, and find an instructor that can train you in DIR. All you would get from this guy is many bad habits that will have to be broken, by a decent DIR guy.

Just the fact that he likes to use a rebreather should be a red flag, if he intends to use this when he is diving with you. More than likely,he wanted a "magic carpet ride" ..a way to compensate for poor skills that left him with poor air consumption.

Regards,
Dan V

I took the TDI adv Nitrox/Deco class With my rid completely set up the GUE way including my pockets. When they asked me about it, I told them that this is the way my team members dive so our gear is in uniform. The instructor said that thats fine if the team agrees on gear configs. So they let me dive with what im going to carry.
I say take the class and learn a new way of diving and after go back to one spg and continue to go into the dir way if thats what you want.

Hi, doing my first tdi courses & have bought some ds4's I routed the hoses the same as dirdiver.com but my instructor wants us to have 2 spg's.
That's not an unreasonable request. It's not like he asked you to duct-tape a bunch of spare airs together.

what's the views on this & when I do I cant get my regs set up as good. This guy is anti dir & thinks his way is the better way with everything:shakehead:
That's his option. I'm assuming you already paid for the class, so I'd suggest taking it. As for "can't get my regs setup as good", it might take a little work, but you can generally get pretty good hose routing if you work at it.

If I could get a refund & do it with someone else I would. I think a tdi Instructor that doesn't know dir & how to set up a manifold because he only dived indys & now a breather is not good.
TDI is not DIR and there is no reason to expect him to be teaching a DIR class.

However, if the guy has been diving long enough to move into independent doubles, rebreathers and now teaches technical diving, he probably has something worthwhile to teach. I wouldn't be in such a hurry to write off your instructor because his request for an extra SPG interferes with the hose routing you found on the internet.

Terry

Last edited:
That's why it is important to find an instructor who dives the same way you dive. If it's DIR, then move on. If you feel you will get the education you want from your current instructor, then stick with him/her. Many instructors claim to be DIR, but have not taken a GUE/AG course.

My IANTD instructor was not anti-dir, and my DIR instructor was not anti-IANTD. Both were willing to explain the merits of their teaching philosophies and why they believed theirs worked better for their diving. After discussing the DIR training I had received prior to my IANTD courses, my IANTD instructor made several changes to come along side my DIR diving style. He did a lot of research on his own and adopted many of the DIR protocols in our training.

Anti-anything is not good. Being willing to sit down and explain the merits of the course material, equipment and instruction shows a high level of integrity and maturity from the instructor. Someone who just spouts off, "Oh, that's crap," wouldn't be the instructor for me, regardless of agency.

Just the fact that he likes to use a rebreather should be a red flag, if he intends to use this when he is diving with you. More than likely,he wanted a "magic carpet ride" ..a way to compensate for poor skills that left him with poor air consumption.

Regards,
Dan V
Or maybe he just goes places where RB is more practical. If that is the only reason you think people dive RB you have truly been brainwashed.

Back
Top Bottom