TDI Advaced Nitrox and Deco Procedures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear that your class went well. I had hoped to take the TDI AdvNitx w/ Deco this year, but things didn't work out that way. I am planning to take it next year, and I hope I learn as much as you have.

FD

Andy,

Great account of the class. It'll be a year before I take that class in earnest. I did a mock run of IANTD Adv. Nitrox and it's nothing to fool with. IANTD's class only certifies you to use 50%, but TDI is 100% if I remember correctly. I'd have to get to Normixic with IANTD to get 100%.

We only did 100ft and no mandatory deco. One deco bottle. I just carried 32% in mine.

You're all ready for the Oriskany now!

PerroneFord:
Andy,

Great account of the class. It'll be a year before I take that class in earnest. I did a mock run of IANTD Adv. Nitrox and it's nothing to fool with. IANTD's class only certifies you to use 50%, but TDI is 100% if I remember correctly. I'd have to get to Normixic with IANTD to get 100%.

We only did 100ft and no mandatory deco. One deco bottle. I just carried 32% in mine.

You're all ready for the Oriskany now!

what depth ranges are those classes teaching for? in the 130-170 foot range, 50% has a lot of advantages over just taking 100%. Taking two deco gases has the significant downside of the risk of breathing the wrong one, and doesn't speed up your deco much.

You might find that 50% nitrox is plenty. If you do longer shallow dives (say 60 min at 100 feet), then maybe 100% has some benefits.

doing 150 feet dives on air seems a bit odd as helium can really help with the narcosis and isn't any harder to dive than air etc.

Also, if I was doing serious cave diving at 100 feet, I'd be really tempted to take 30/30 . Having a clear head in a cave sounds like a pretty good thing to me.

Nice summary. Very similar to when I took Rick's class earlier this spring with my wife. Good fun. I was narc on the dives at 40 Fathoms as well. It was pretty funny as we went down the line and hit 140' I was feeling it so I motioned to Rick that I was so-so. Rick turned looked at me, gave the okay, and then turned around and started off thinking that I gave him the level off signal. Now there was no way in hell I was leaving the line until I felt okay to continue. So I signaled Rick again and really gave him the so-so signal. This time I was understood and we hung for about minute then did the tour. I do remember seeing the boat, airplane, and the motorcycle, a bunch of logs. Rick said that during the the dive he would try to get me to violate our planned depth. Sure enough we were following a line that lead down to a log and then down to another line. Rick headed down it. I looked at my gauge and it said just over 140' and our planned depth was 145'. So I signaled and passed that part of the dive.

After a three hour or so interval we did the second dive. This time I was fine until about 10 minutes in and decided to call the dive early as I definitely could feel narcosis and some vertigo. The funny part is that when I decided to call the dive we were on the same line as the first dive when I was narc'ed.

All in all I would highly reccomend Rick's class. He is good instructor. Light hearted but he will make you work.

The other part that was good fun about 40 Fathoms was meeting Hal Watts aka Mr. Scuba. He is super nice guy very talkative.

Post script on using two gasses. Rick and I sat down and went through quite a few deco gas scenarios showing that there are many options. One gas versus two gasses, etc. I think the thing to remember here is that these are training dives and part of the training is planning deco dives and gas management as well as learning how to switch from one gas to another, restowing regs, etc. So from that point of view the course hits those marks as it gives you the tools to work with for future dives.

Packhorse:
How long did the course go for and how much did it cost?
Im looking at doing the same courses and here its 6 evening of theory & confined water diving @ 3 hours each and 6 open water dives. Cost is $795 NZ About $550US.
Who are you looking at doing the course with?

Congrats Andy

Way to go Andy! I've been doing my 150 footers with HE, and I can't imagine trying it on air (IANTD Adv. Rec. Trimix). We've been doing drills at depth (OOG, valve, etc) and I just don't think it would be fun for me at this point on air. Did you have to do any drills at 150'?

Nice report, Andy!

Congratulations Andy.

I went to 55msw on air as part of my TDI extended range course and suffered mightily from the effects of narcosis, made worse by poor vis and current.

I will definitely be looking into the benefits of Helium!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom