Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Down to the 1/10th of a cubic foot, I bet their manufacturing tolerances aren't even that good.

Not that I would correct someone for being a couple cubic feet off the mark in the first place :shakehead:

Down to the 1/10th of a cubic foot, I bet their manufacturing tolerances aren't even that good.

Not that I would correct someone for being a couple cubic feet off the mark in the first place :shakehead:

So what you are saying is that LP85 and HP100 are the same size? Since they are only couple of cubic feet off?!?

Manufacturer lists it to one decimal point thus it stands to reason that it is that precise within margin of an error. Thus I've used them in calculation. Your initial point of calculation was over 2.5% bigger for LP85 thus compounding the error.

So what you are saying is that LP85 and HP100 are the same size? Since they are only couple of cubic feet off?!?

Manufacturer lists it to one decimal point thus it stands to reason that it is that precise within margin of an error. Thus I've used them in calculation. Your initial point of calculation was over 2.5% bigger for LP85 thus compounding the error.
Ever seen how steel cylinders are built? Or put a stack of them side-by-side and looked at how they compare to each other?

A common thing for someone contemplating diving doubles to do is to go through a selection of the same "size" cylinders and pick two that are close to the same shape. The tolerances are off enough to be visually noticeable ... therefore yes, I'd believe that the actual (real life) volume is going to vary by a couple tenths or more from cylinder to cylinder.

Specs are for comparison purposes ... and, franky, the LP85 and HP100 are very close to the same size ... as are the LP95 and HP119.

But getting back to the point, the relevent question for the OP is whether or not he could get an LP cylinder overfilled to 3000 ... most shops outside of cave country won't do it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

My first set of worthington HP130s sitting next to each other showed a 1/2" difference in tank height, had to get my LDS to swap one out because it made for a really funky standing set of doubles(ugh, doubles).

Reactions: Jax
Don't know if this helps but I found a older LP85 tank that is 7 1/4" in diameter...
Some are tall and skinny- 7", these tall and skinny are floaters... The 7 1/4"
tank that I have is about 1lb negative when empty.

7 cf is more than a couple, but not an awefull lot - and also not at all what I'm saying.

Would using the word "thus" alot help get my point across easier?

Sounds like LP95's are going to be my choice. Even if I can only get 2640 PSI fills the deepest dives I will be doing over the next year are going to be no deeper then 165 feet so I think 95's should suffice. Now I just need to decide Faber or Worthington, I can get a better deal on Faber and my instructor recommends them but I think I will like the bouyancy characteristics of the Worthingtons. With the fabers I was thinking I can just thread a weight in the cam strap. Is there any reason why I shouldnt put weights on the tanks?

Sounds like LP95's are going to be my choice. Even if I can only get 2640 PSI fills the deepest dives I will be doing over the next year are going to be no deeper then 165 feet so I think 95's should suffice. Now I just need to decide Faber or Worthington, I can get a better deal on Faber and my instructor recommends them but I think I will like the bouyancy characteristics of the Worthingtons. With the fabers I was thinking I can just thread a weight in the cam strap. Is there any reason why I shouldnt put weights on the tanks?
As pointed out earlier, the Faber 95's tend to be butt-floaty once you get them down below about 1000 psi or so. So if that's really the size you want, I'd either consider the Worthingtons or plan not to ever have them down that low.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom