Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly! :lol:

Not that *I* would ever do it . . . . :bs:

but if one jumps in with their air off, and it's on the "other" side, that's just a little more complication than necessary. Remembering the right side turns off forward and the left backward in sidemount seems to come naturally. And, the stage being top or bottom doesn't seem to bother me . . . .

But hey, I am NOT an expert! :shocked2: I just know a lot of lessons learned because I am making all the mistakes. :wink:

LP vs. HP - depends on if your LDS has the ability to fill to capacity. I teach sidemount and having several different tanks has been very beneficial. HP100s, LP95s, LP108s, AL80s etc. Really depends on what your dive plan is outside of general training. You could SM AL40s if you wanted...

Valves - Left and Right are recommended. However I doubt the LDS in <insert random 3rd world country here> will have Left and Rights if you choose to SM on trips. Getting use to standard AL80s would benefit you. In the Hollis SMS it comes down to whether or not you need to remove the bungee bolt snap or just thumb the bungee over your knobs.

Try a few out and see what suits you best. Happy SM'n!

Reactions: Jax
In the Hollis SMS it comes down to whether or not you need to remove the bungee bolt snap or just thumb the bungee over your knobs.
That's interesting... the SMS100 is what I finally settled on, and I actually *like* the bungees that came with it.
... and pulled the trigger on another HP100 w/ a left-hand valve... (I see the new Pro's are coming with the Red/Green Off/On valve handles -- would seem to be a benefit for SM).

Now, all I need is a previously unknown very rich, very old, relative...

By remove I mean unsnap and go around the valve vs. just thumbing over the knobs. I'm a big fan of the Hollis rig. I own 3 of them all stock and unmodified. I've put close to 200 dives in the rig and I'm very happy with how flexible the L/XL size fits most students.

LP vs. HP - depends on if your LDS has the ability to fill to capacity.

This is NOT a trivial consideration! Consider the HP100, fill rated to 3441psi:

My one and only LDS fills to 3000psi. That means 2700 - 2800 when the cylinder cools. 2700 * TF of .029 = 78.3 cf!

However, if your LDS won't fill the LPs to the +10%, you get shorted that way, too.

In terms of using AL80's I have a question regarding using cam bands or pipe clamps for tank setup.

Most people that I see strap 3lbs of lead to their tanks to keep them negative when empty. When I move to sidemount, I suspect I will primarily use pipe clamps with the steel tanks I use.

When I go on vacation, if I choose to take the pipe clamps with me is there an easy way to add weight to them? Or would I just be better off leaving them alone and buying two low profile 1.5" cam bands to use on vacation?

By remove I mean unsnap and go around the valve vs. just thumbing over the knobs. I'm a big fan of the Hollis rig. I own 3 of them all stock and unmodified. I've put close to 200 dives in the rig and I'm very happy with how flexible the L/XL size fits most students.
Yes, I understood that. I've read where some users have swapped out the bungees for either single (across the back) bungees, or loops.

One thing I haven't found the definitive solution for is weighting on the SMS100. No problem in fresh water with dual HP100's. However, in salt, diving wet, with a couple of rented AL80's, how are you adding weight? The Nomad has a nice backpack assembly with four pockets, and located in what I would think is a great place to maintain trim... unfortunately, it's just a little too wide for the Hollis, and I'm trying to stay away from an additional belt.

EDIT: Lenaxia, we must be pursuing this along the same timeline...

From Hollis, you can get little weight pouches that mount on your rig (back of your shoulders) where you can easily add and remove weight. I see others who zip tie weights on the top front of their shoulders on the actual harness. I prefer the pouches.

On a recent dry salt water trip I had some weight in my shoulder pouches and a small amount on my belt. I'm not a fan of adding weight to the ALs however many do. It's a preference.
I would recommend trying a few different configurations and seeing what works best for you and your trim. Definitely before you take a trip somewhere with limited options. You'll have experience and you'll take the gear you need to make the dives in SM comfortably.

I'm sure there are many opinions from other SB SM&#8217;rs. That is one thing there is never a shortage of here :)

but if one jumps in with their air off, and it's on the "other" side, that's just a little more complication than necessary. Remembering the right side turns off forward and the left backward in sidemount seems to come naturally. And, the stage being top or bottom doesn't seem to bother me . . . .

I have learned that when on a boat I say its a left hand valve and the AIR IS ON!!!

I'm getting the impression there's an issue with bungee on one of the tanks when using two right handed tank valves (as I will probably get stuck doing as most of my diving is in the Carib). I used left and right hand valves in sidemount class so I have no expirience with two right handed valves. If there is an issue with bungees on two right handed valves, would the ring bungees be the better option in this case since, as I understand it, the bungees don't warp around the valves?

Back
Top Bottom