Tanks... what to get?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by large_diver
- LP steels come with a "+" rating (DOT rating that allows them to be filled to 2640 PSI) that lasts for 5 years. After that, their "allowable" max pressure goes down, reducing the volume of air
I do believe that you can have your LP tank hydrotested at the higher test pressure and continue with the + rating....

Originally posted by large_diver
I hope you're right....although I think my next back-gas tank will be an HP

Call up the local fire extinguisher service shop and ask them if they can hydro a scuba cylinder and continue its + rating...

I'm a big fan of LP steel tanks myself. Last forever, easy to get good fills and I get to take some weight off when I dive 'em! I dive mostly cold water, if I dove warm water I would probably get AL 80's.

Scott

Murdock, since I'm not too familiar with fresh water diving my last post was intended to be a roundup of facts with no recommendation. However, you, like many, seem to be asking "what do you think?". That's fair enough and a challenge to give a non wussy answer.

Since I'm not in a position to say what I "like", I went to the court of last resort, arithmetic. It's well known that fresh water weighs about 3% less than sea water. Therefore, as an example, a well trimmed diver weighing, say, 240 pounds with all his equipments would displace about 7 pounds less than a comparable diver in seawater.

Now, I gotcha'--- because it's easy to imagine the feeling of being 7 pounds less buoyant. With this in mind I would recommend you seriously consider the relatively inexpensive aluminum tank. It's buoyancy in freshwater, empty, would still be 3 pounds, but so what? It's freshwater buoyancy, when full, would be negative three pounds or thereabout. Add in the weight of the valve and bits of hardware like D rings, knife and buckles and, even with a wetsuit, you aren't looking at an overly buoyant kit. A few pounds of lead should do the trick and it should actually amount to about 7 pounds less than a comparable "salty" would use. Voila, objection gone.

It's the buoyancy of the aluminum tank which turns off some divers. However, After looking at Rodale's data for LP steel tanks, and in view of the above calculations, it seems that any differences of feel and usefulness of the two types should not be decisive in freshwater. In any event it should not be worth the extra cost of steel.

I recommend you give first consideration to a new aluminum tank. These are widely available at discount prices. However, should you intend to make a rather big technical and financial leap to drysuit diving, I think you would find the PST LP tank attractive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom