Tanks In Cars....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My tanks go in the trunk of my compact sedan. I know some people who put tanks in the back seat. That just makes me slightly nervous. I nearly always have gear bags in the back seat since trunk isn't very tall (to put bags on top of tanks).

I think this is the first time I've ever admitted this in public, but on my checkout weekend in May, 1974, I managed to actually drive OVER my rented steel 72. The course Instructor and helpers all dove for cover. All of we newbs laughed.

The tank was unscathed though.

As others have pointed out, I think there's far more risk of being injured by a tank taking flight in an accident.

I dive doubles and when I can, I put them in my boat, strapped down. If I"m not pulling the boat, I put them in the back of my SUV with a chain thought the manifold. Single tanks are all rigged with stage kits, so I clip them to the chain as well. I doubt the bolt snap would hold up in a serious accident, but I suspect it would slow things down some.

Just as an aside, a lot of these same discussion points could be applied to a large family dog. If my 95 pound German Shepherd or my 70 pound Husky cross took flight in an accident, it would be bad. They are tied into the back seat using harnesses for the same reason I chain the tanks down.

Doubles/rebreathers you can stand up in the back seat and strap in with the seatbelt.

Doubles/rebreathers you can stand up in the back seat and strap in with the seatbelt.

My understanding is that much of the effectiveness of seatbelts has to do with the fact that they fall across a human at "the bend" between the upper body and the lower body. That's what keeps a person in their seat in the event of a frontal collision.

Because doubles and rebreathers don't have legs, I'm not convinced that the seatbelt can be confidently relied on to do its job in the event of a crash.

The only problem I have ever heard of relating to a tank in a car in an accident was a friend who was rammed up the back. Unfortunately they had at least one tank (of the many) in the rear compartment (a large 4WD/SUV station wagon) with the valve facing forward. This then went through the back of the second row seat and "stabbed" one passenger in the back. Luckily she was only bruised. Whatever you do, face the valves to the rear!!!

As to temperatures in cars, in Sydney this summer (now start of autumn/fall) we had one day of 47C (115F?) and many over 40C. I have never heard of a problem due to heat, including burst disks. The only burst disks I have heard of going off have been all not related to temperature (including two in my place)

Not had any issues with tanks but I was friends years ago with a plumber who had a work van. The rear of that van was filled with tools and materials etc and was not subdivided from the front (no bulkhead). He was involved in an accident which caused a near instant stop which basically transformed the tools into flying debris and he was killed by one of his chisels (it hit him in the rear of his head and reportedly killed him instantly).

If that can happen with one chisel, please think about what can happen with tanks & other gear and make sure that they are secured properly. For what it is worth, I wouldn't trust a seatbelt given the angles involved (they could all to easily slip of the tank given a contact at speed).

A buddy built me a set of 4 tank racks using scrap 2x4, eyebolts, and rubber bungie chords 30 years ago. I use those for transportation and have not had a tank roll, but did get a splinter once from the wood. Seems I had training recently on carrying compressed air tanks in a vehicle that required that the tanks be carried perpendicular to the direction of travel (e.g. sideways).

The biggest hazard from any compressed gas cylinder in a vehicle is the risk of tank decapitation, i.e. the valve gets knocked off. They become very fast, unguided missiles. I have seen the results of a welding oxygen tank getting decapped. Went through a cinder block wall, up through the metal roof to an unknown altitude, and came back down through the roof and imbedded itself 2 feet deep through a 4 inch concrete floor. Took another couple minutes before it finished blowing the remaining gas out. It had been in use and was not full when it launched.
While it takes a lot of force to pop a valve like that, this tank simply fell over and hit a short stack of steel plate just "wrong". Same can happen in an accident. This is why every state in the US has a law on the books regarding tank transport and how many can be carried without a placard.
While we are not carrying a gas considered explosive (except for your O2 deco tanks), they still fall under the compressed gas rules and should be secured in the vehicle. This is one of those laws that gets brought up when Murphy rides along and someone gets hurt as a result of the tank being unsecured in a wreck.
While a tank getting decapped is the worst case, the most likely cause of additional injury in a wreck would be from the 40-60 pound chunk of aluminum (or steel) flying around and whacking someone. Again, they will pull out the "unsecured cargo" law if it happens. This would apply whether the tank(s) were in the cab or in the bed of a truck. There has to be evidence that you made a reasonable attempt to secure them. The standards aren't onerous.
It is legal in all the states I've had reason to check, to transport either vertically or horizontally as long as they are secured.
There's some pretty impressive pics on the web of tanks that have been decapped as well as left in a hot vehicle and blown the pressure relief. Wouldn't want to be around for either...

Back
Top Bottom