Tanks = Confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rleslie

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
When it comes to tanks, I'm totally confused. As soon as I think that I have it figured out, I read something else that confuses me even more.

I'm looking for two new tanks that are Nitrox ready, but can still be used with air, if Nitrox is not available. I'm 57, 5'9", 175lbs and dive with 13-15 lbs when wearing 3mm suit. I do not use much air, usually surfacing with 1000 when everyone else is at 500. As I get older, weight (out of the water) is becoming a factor.

A HP-100 steel or LP-85 steel or ??????????????.

Any suggestions?

HP100 is a good choice and a sound investment in diving gear but if your SAC rate is as good as you say I'd suggest a HP80. I use the HP100 and my lovely bride uses the HP80. We usually end dives with close to the same PSI remaining.

The HP100's are really sweet tanks.

Now keep in mind that there is a significant difference between "Nitrox Ready" and "O2 Ready" tanks.

That difference, for all intents and purposes, is that an tank has to be "O2 Ready" for partial pressure blending of nitrox.

A "Nitrox Ready" tank should not be used for partial pressure blending of nitrox, but can be used if filling from a pre-mixed bank or from a pre-mix blend station.

Did that help add to the confusion???

the K

I have a Al80s, HP100, and HP130.

The HP100 is an ideal tank. It is similar in weight to the Al80, slightly shorter and negatively buoyant. I was able to drop 6 lbs off my weight belt compared to Al80. I had to change my Reg from yoke to DIN for my HP100. The new HP100 have the Pro Valve with both yoke and DIN. The HP100 is usually filled to 3400, but can be filled to 3000. Somewhere there is a comparison of amount of air to pressure.

It looks like the weights are about the same for HP100, AL80, LP85.

You would be able to drop over 6lb off your belt for HP100 and 5lb for LP85.

Now keep in mind that there is a significant difference between "Nitrox Ready" and "O2 Ready" tanks.

That difference, for all intents and purposes, is that an tank has to be "O2 Ready" for partial pressure blending of nitrox.

A "Nitrox Ready" tank should not be used for partial pressure blending of nitrox, but can be used if filling from a pre-mixed bank or from a pre-mix blend station.

the K

Well....both. Thanks for the warning. Most of my diving is either in the Abacos, Exumas, or Central America where Nitrox is not always available. I need a tank that I can get filled anywhere with air and when I find EAN32, I can use it.

Thanks

Basically O2 cleaning prevents explosions when pure, or high concentration oxygen in put into the tank. It is ok to use this with air, if the air is also "clean". Using non-O2 clean air will not hurt anything, but could cause trouble the next time oxygen is put into the tank. Thus, an O2 clean tank should only be used with Nitrox, or O2 clean air as non-O2 clean air could invalidate the O2 cleaning. Most air compressors for scuba should be ok. (If the air isn't O2 clean, it may not be good to dive with). This shouldn't be a problem for pre-mixed Nitrox fills as they do not put pure oxygen into the tank.

I once went to a quarry where they had a nice new O2 clean air-only compressor, but would not fill Nitrox tanks since the air wasn't "official" O2 clean, so it would invalidate the O2 cleaning (they did let me barrow one of their tanks for free)

the K

Sorry, now I'm confused. I thought tanks were either O2 clean (i.e. "O2 ready") or not O2 clean. What is a "Nitrox ready" tank?

Sorry, now I'm confused. I thought tanks were either O2 clean (i.e. "O2 ready") or not O2 clean. What is a "Nitrox ready" tank?

"Nitrox ready" ~marketing stuff

Some short summary:

Air might be:
- “normal”
-“O2 clean” – for blending purposes.

Nitrox (higher level of oxygen in mixture) might be:
-[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]“Basic” up to 40% of oxygen (nitrox ready)
-[FONT=&quot] - [/FONT]“HOT nitrox” more then 40% O2 (oxygen O2 clean)

Oxygen is a highest level of “hot nitrox” :lotsalove:

Any type of equipment for “Hot nitrox” and Oxygen should be O2 clean. This mean that if you would like to put some oxygen into the tank and then fill it up with air you will need O2 clean tank plus O2 clean Air.

If you just use basic nitrox that is mixed in other tanks and then filled into your tank you might skip all about O2 clean and stay with "nitrox ready".

One important if you will fill O2 clean tank with Air that is not O2 clean your tank have to be professionally cleaned before you will use it with Hot nitrox or Oxygen (it is more then must)

hope it help
R-T-W

R-T-W explains it well. But I feel it is important to stress that sometimes a dive shop will use the "HOT Nitrox" or pure oxygen to make normal Nitrox (22-40% O2) by mixing the "HOT" gas with O2 clean air in your tank. In this case the tank must be O2 clean even though the final product is "normal" Nitrox. You may want to contact the shops you are most likely to get Nitrox from and ask how they make it (pre-mixed vs. "diluted" in your tank)

Let's see if I have this straight. If I make certain that the only Nitrox I use in my tank is pre-mixed, I don't need to worry about my tank being O2 clean. Is that correct?

So, assuming that is what I do, which freak'n tank :confused: can I use to dive both "normal" air and "pre-mixed" nitrox?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom