Tanked [the TV show, not what happens when <insert funny>]

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Racer_X

Registered
Reaction score
Any one been watching this? It's not quite in line with diving, yet some of the aquariums they've done are big enough to dive in. If you check out their part of the animal planet site, they have a guy that has a 10,000 gallon aquarium in his garage. Freshwater, fortunately...

I have to admit, the new place we're looking at has the perfect spot for a 6 foot by 3 foot by 2 story tank.... that's gotta be a great place to keep my diving skills sharp.

Acrylic Tank Manufacturers is a well known aquarium maker. Their "average" contract is $30,000+++++. They create things in public aquariums, zoos and such.
You can purchase glass or acrylic aquariums from all-glass or glasscages.com

As with any tank you have to figure out what your floor can support. Also large aquariums require thicker glass/acrylic width. You are talking about a 240-300 gal aquarium so your glass width will be 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Aquarium of that size would run well over 1000 dollars, another 1000 dollars in filters and media, probably a 20-50/mo monthly electric bill just for the tank (3 times more if you heat it).

You would also need stands, lights, ship and deliver tank to you. In other words you are running into probably a 3000 dollar operation for a 300 gal tank.

Some people cheat by installing 1 pane of glass and build up 3 walls of tank, insulate etc etc. That probably saves about 50% of the cost but is a lot more difficult to do.

If you want a 1000 gallon tank fresh water... expect to spend about $10,000.

Trust me it is a lot cheaper to buy a bunch of smaller tanks and put them next to each other than it is to buy 1 big one.

Just for reference. 20 50 gallon tanks cost about $2700 where as 1 1000 gallon tank costs about $6000.

Another really important thing to keep in mind is that most people put their tanks against the wall or build them into walls so most people want to see long tanks. With long tanks you do not necessarily have to get large volume tanks. My old buddy had a 240 gallon tank mounted in wall between kitchen and living room. It was HUUUUGE. I currently have a 55gal and a 37 gal but will custom build 4 75 gallon tanks into build up wall or 1 100 gallon skinny tall wide tank ... have not made up my mind yet.

My next house is getting a custom build ATM ordered acrylic tank probably 1000 gallon or so build in middle of house and have entire house build around that tank.

Thanks for the info! I've been searching around to see who else out there does similar things - apparently there's a new show starting on the 12th on nat geo: Aquarium kings or some such.

This particular space is between a spiral staircase and a wall, and has a lip around an area that's sitting on the concrete pad of the house. Perfect for viewing as one walks down and around the stairs as well as at the bottom, from a few other rooms, etc. I may well end up with a more modest size tank when fiscal reality and/or the Wife Acceptance Factor (WAF) sets in. The idea of a couple of tanks, perhaps on top of each other, seems interesting if it can work logistically. It'd give me a chance to isolate a few aggressive but beautiful species.
Maybe 72x24x120 x 2?

Gotta go, wife looking over my shoulder.

There is a problem with really tall tanks because they require very reinforced glass especially on the bottom. There is a formula for pressure per square inch that eludes me right this very moment. If you are planning to make a 120 inch tall tank (which is 10ft high) you are bound to have a tank with 1 inch thick acrylic on top and probably like 3 inches thick on the bottom ( do not quote me on that). A tank like that would HAVE to be acrylic and require professional delivery and installation. If you indeed go that route... I would increase your flood insurance/protection... get additional warranty on the tank etc etc etc.

Tank with dimensions provided measures about 900 gal. 2 such tanks is 1800 gal.

If I was putting that much cash into it... I would not get a rectangular tank. I would get a full walk around tank with more to it than just a regular tank.

My dream has always been to put a "hangout room" in middle of the house and have it completely surrounded by a huge multi thousand dollar aquarium. Only way to do that is to go acrylic and build aquarium first and then house around it. ATM does it for some of their projects. Costs lotsa money but it makes your home a mecca for drooling masses of people that walk in and just stare at the awesomeness.

I saw the title and thought this thread was about a ginger diver from NJ!

I saw the title and thought this thread was about a ginger diver from NJ!

Same here and I thought, "Now why in the hell would someone try to provoke that soul stealing bastage!"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom