tank volume w/ +10% rating

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubasmac

New
Reaction score
Just had a quick question. I'm looking to get a couple steel 100's from my LDS. I was looking at the specs from techdivinglimited and wanted to verify that the Faber HP-100 was rated at 100 cuft only with the +10% (3498 psi).

Just trying to decide between the HP series or the FX series.

Thanks

I would stay away from the HP (3180+) Faber tanks unless you need a lot of weight to sink a lofty drysuit. They have "unusual" buoyancy characteristics: Scuba Cylinder Specifications from Tech Diving Limited - 928-855-9400

The FX series is very similar to the PST E series or Worthington X series. They also don't require getting the + rating retested at every hydro.

And yes, they are 100cf with the 10% (3498psi = 100cf).

Just had a quick question. I'm looking to get a couple steel 100's from my LDS. I was looking at the specs from techdivinglimited and wanted to verify that the Faber HP-100 was rated at 100 cuft only with the +10% (3498 psi).

Just trying to decide between the HP series or the FX series.

Thanks

Hi --

The Faber HP (MP) series of 3180 psi cyliners comes to full rated volume at 3180 + 10% overfill. This is noted on the cylinders stampings indicating "+" which allows for the 10% overfill.

The Faber FX series is rated full volume at stated (stamped) pressure. 3442 psi.

Note that the FX series is a lighter weight cylinder. The HP series us usually used by divers who need to wear a lot of weight for thick wet suits and dry suits.

Cheers

Something to consider is that the Worthington X7-100 and Faber FX-100 100 cu ft tanks give the full 100 cu ft at 3442 psi but if you can only get a 3000 psi fill you will only have 87 cu ft of air.

If however you step up to a Worthington X7-120 you get a tank with the same 7.25" diameter that is only 4 inches taller and 5 lbs heavier but holds 120 cu ft at 3442 psi, 104.6 cu ft at 3000 psi. and 97.6 cu ft at the average 3000 psi busy dive shop hot fill of 2800 psi.

The Faber FX-120 is very similar but 1" taller and 1 lb heavier than the X7-120.

So in effect, unless you need the shorter tank or unless you absolutely cannot live with the 5 or 6 more pounds of weight, a 3442 psi 120 may be a much better deal for real world diving and real world fills and compressor limitations.

Thanks xiSkiGuy and JS1scuba. This is exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks DA Aquamaster for the added info. I'll need to check into the 120. The sale is on the 100's...i'm not sure if it includes the 120's.

I understand completely, I'll take 100's rather than 120's if the price is great too - steel tanks are not cheap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom