Tank Valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rnewt6926

New
Reaction score
I recently purchased my first tank and it was delivered without the valve attached. Can anyone tell me if I need to apply anything to the threads of the valve before attaching, or are there any special steps that I need to take. Thank you in advance.

rnewt6926 once bubbled...
I recently purchased my first tank and it was delivered without the valve attached. Can anyone tell me if I need to apply anything to the threads of the valve before attaching, or are there any special steps that I need to take. Thank you in advance.
probably wouldn't do to tell you to take it to the LDS since you probably didn't buy it from them since you say it was *delivered.*

Well... for someone who knows what's up it isn't that hard...

Apply oxygen compatible lube to the valve threads and valve o-ring. The o-ring should have very little lube... only enough to make it shiny.

If the dip tube was not already installed then do that but make sure it is tight... it should squawk when tightened down... you don't want it coming off.

Hand thread the valve into the tank and when it is tight apply the right torque to seat it... but not too much... just the right amount.

The o-ring is what holds the pressure.... the snugness of the valve threaded into the tank is what holds the o-ring.

rnewt6926 once bubbled...

Does it have a visual inspection sticker? If it doesn't, you're going to need that done anyway. They are going to need to take the valve off to visual it, so just take it in for the visual sans valve, and have them put it on when they are done.

Spectre once bubbled...
Does it have a visual inspection sticker?
The last bunch Shane and I ordered had the manufacturer's VIP stickers in the boxes.

But since we ordered them through our LDS they gave me some of their VIP stickers too. :D

Shoot.... I don't need no stinking VIP stickers!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Shoot.... I don't need no stinking VIP stickers!

That's gotta be nice :) I hate rushing off the boat to find an open place for a fill so I'm set for the next day. At least I've got one shop that basically is "leave on back porch, they'll be filled by morning if I'm around".

Spectre once bubbled...
That's gotta be nice :)
The only draw back is feeling the waves of paranoia while standing there filling a tank without a VIP sticker to hold back the explosion. :eek:

That's why I spend my fill time in here on Scuba Board and only go out every 20 minutes or so to open the moisture seperator drains. :D

Takes a couple of terror filled hours to pump up the bank and a couple of sets of doubles. :boom:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom