Tank Valve On/Off Indicator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, with all due respect you have no idea what you're talking about.

already recanted the statement on the prior page, and was agreement about still having to self check instead of relying on a red/green indicator. no matter, ill take the lumps.

[edit] top of page 6, awesome! i expect a whole more dog piling from pages 4 and 5 without reading this first. Yes, I was wrong, and I freely admit it, lets move on.

Last edited:
already recanted the statement on the prior page. no matter, ill take the lumps.
Ignorance is not permanent. The best part about a forum is that misconceptions can be voiced and subsequently debunked. You don't know what you don't know. This is a great place to get it squared away before something other than your feelings get hurt.

I wonder why the manufacturer didn't put contrasting stripes on one or the other of the colored bands to make them easier to distinguish, either in poor lighting conditions or for people who have difficulty distinguishing red and

Actually, now that you mention it, holes drilled in a circle in the red would be sufficient. They would be "O" for off. If you see them, you're turned off. The solid green would cover them up.

EDIT=> I've got it backwards. I'm now thinking of "1"s in the green for on.

So how do R/G colorblind folks distinguish traffic lights at night?

OnYes by position, top red, bottom green, if you are the only drivers, or use other as reference on crowded road

Just show my friend a vindicator knob. No it doesn't work for him at all. At very close distance with sufficient light, he can tell there some difference between the slid. More the a few feet away, they both look mud dish brown to him. To small to tell the difference by shade

Last edited:
OnYes by position, top red, bottom green, if you are the only drivers, or use other as reference on crowded road

Traffic lights are quite clear even to colour blind people. The chosen shades of red and green, as I said above, make it look like the green light is white and the red light is dark brown. Everyone can tell the difference between white and dark brown, even colour blind people.

During the day the red light can appear so dim as to look as if it were turned off. At night it's clearly visible.

R..

1. One of my dive buddies has the color bands on his tanks. Makes it easy for me to do a quick visual check of his gear before going into the water.

2. Last thing I always do before stepping off the boat is take a deep breath or two on the reg while looking at the gauge. Saved my tail in mexico after a helpful crew member had played with my tanks when I was not looking.

I am amazed at how many people check things wrong on the boat. They do the breaths on the regs but do not look at the air pressure while doing so. Makes me wonder how they were taught or what was told them.

Boat I dive on a lot I have noticed that particularly for rental gear divers that as they assist you to the step off point they make sure that the tanks are full on. Don't think that most even realize they do it.

Reactions: Jax
I can see them being a good thing in general for a quick visual reminder but not to be used at the expense of proper gear checks. I would almost certainly give my regs a quick breath before I splashed.

For the "helpful" DM, it might stop them playing with valves they shouldn't be touching!

Back
Top Bottom