Tank Valve On/Off Indicator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rich_Hale

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was recently told about a new green and red colored band that is put on the tank valve to indicate if the valve is on or off.

I was told to install it you would remove the rubber handle from the valve and slip this band on, then replace the rubber handle.

If the tank is on it would be one color showing and if the valve is off it would show the other color.

Although, I don't know if I am personally interested in this device, I would like to have information on it.

Thanks for anyone who can assist me.

Never heard of it. Seems a waste of money. Does it take into account the different sizes of valve handles? If you really needed one you could make it youself with colored duct tape.

hmmm.... I wouldn't want to trust knowing my air was on to a colored band that could move.

just reach back there and turn the tank on all the way, then maybe back it off 1/4 turn. That way you know for sure.

dive safe.

I saw these at DEMA - I'll try to find the info.

You replace the regular knob with the new assembly which is slightly larger than normal. It actually worked pretty well - there is a red band that shows when the valve is off and a green band that shows when the tank is open. The manufacturer was targeting rental shops/dive operators. The idea is to give the divemasters on the boat a quick reference to see if the air is on as the guests/students went in the water. The colored bands are on some sort of geared mechanism so it did not seem possible for the bands to move unless you opened/shut the valve. Everything seemed to be solidly constructed.

Is it "necessary"? That's a value judgement but I can say that it did work well - it was easy to see if the air was off, 1/2 on or all the way on. I can't recall the exact price but it was not outragous.

Gimmick...:shakehead:

How hard is it to just CHECK and VERIFY the actual valve is on or off, instead of relying on something that might or might not be correct?

Thanks guys,

I agree with all of you, but I work at Channel Islands Scuba in Southern California and have a customer that is interested in this little device - so we are here to please.

And I can see the value in having someone on the boat (who doesn't know which way to turn on a valve) see green for go and red for stop.

Thanks again.

I'm trying to see if having this device would make one less diligent about checking their valves before getting into the water. I just don't see it. If that's the case, I agree that it's gimmicky, but one that probably doesn't introduce any problems and may save someone's day. In that case, why not?

And I can see the value in having someone on the boat (who doesn't know which way to turn on a valve) see green for go and red for stop.

Thanks again.

think might sound harsh, but someone on a boat who doesn't know how to turn on a valve either had a terrible instructor or doesn't need to be there....

but I can understand you wanting to help a customer.

1. just reach back there and turn the tank on all the way, then maybe back it off 1/4 turn. That way you know for sure.

2. dive safe.

You just contradicted yourself. Don't ever turn a valve back off, even a little.

Valve open all the way, then leave it the fsck alone. When you are done diving turn the valve off. Until then, don't close it. Even a little tiny bit.

think might sound harsh, but someone on a boat who doesn't know how to turn on a valve either had a terrible instructor or doesn't need to be there....

Or they heard some nonsense about turning a valve back off some amount before you go diving.

Back
Top Bottom