Tank Valve On/Off Indicator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly, I know if my tank is on or off without it, but a DM sees it's green and leaves me alone. I only have one on my "boat diving" tank.

Bob

Never thought of that. I only notice when I am working at home, checking equipment and such, and note that 'that tank is still on'.

Useless for personal tanks they get in the way when charging. Explain you say. if the charging yoke is down close to the indicator while trying to shut valve off they will stop the valve from closing. Nothing serious just a pain.

A complete NFL joke. He left after 5 minutes.
I wouldn't blame the color for that! :D :D :D

Red/Green are distinguishable to all forms of color blindness, that’s why they are commonly used for signage and signaling. Still agree you should do a full self check before splashing.

Well, with all due respect you have no idea what you're talking about.

I have protanopia and I can assure you that you don't want me checking your little red/green thing.

To put it in terms of what a colour sighted person can see, what you would see if you looked at red and green through my eyes would be what you see as two different shades of brown. Distinguishing between them consistently and correctly is literally impossible.

.... and given that this was designed for something that could be potentially life threatening if gotten wrong... I repeat what I said above, which is that you're far better off checking it yourself.

R..

Let's put this in perspective: Red Green Color Blindness only affects about %8 of men and %0.5 of women of North European extraction. We're probably talking about less than %2 of the entire world having this problem. Facts About Color Blindness | National Eye Institute

While no statistics were given, I'm guessing most people who are color blind probably know that they are, though that's not a given. %2.3 of Americans are legally blind as well, so I'll ask the color blinded people and the legally blinded people to stay away from my tanks. Simple enough. For the other %95+ of the population, these probably work just fine.

For the other %95+ of the population, these probably work just fine.

Fair enough.

Just a side bar about street lights. Alex mentioned that since street lights are red and green that colour blind people don't have trouble with red and green.

In fact, what I see when I look at street lights is that the green light looks white and the red light, unless it's dark outside, usually looks like it's turned off. I usually assume that the light is red when it is not green but on a bright day I can't be sure that the light is red versus off until I'm pretty much right on top of it.

I know this about myself so I get along fine in traffic. Fortunately street lights are not usually turned off.

R..

Useless for personal tanks they get in the way when charging.

I haven't had the problem.

.... and given that this was designed for something that could be potentially life threatening if gotten wrong... I repeat what I said above, which is that you're far better off checking it yourself.

As I said, I know when I open and close my valves, using the one vindicator valve I have on my boat tank just keeps the DM from "helping" me. Considering that only a very small percentage of the population is colorblind, there is a very good chance, 100% so far, the DM is going to see the green and move on to someone else.

Bob

when I look at street lights
Now THAT's something to worry about! I can easily check my tank manually, but it's impossible to do that with a street light.

I just slow down and look carefully. :wink:

Street lights are hardly ever turned off. Normally when they're not functioning they flash yellow.

R..

Back
Top Bottom