tank to tank cross over equalizer whip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pmcnulty

Registered
Reaction score
Does Anyone have any opinions on getting a tank to tank cross over equalizer whip,because I am using a h valve on a single tank (I dive in a cold climate which could mean regulator freeze up which of course is very unlikely,but the h valve would allow me to close the offending regulator save the remaining air and surface).Therfore I need to use my tank and it would be rare to find another tank with a h valve in Ireland plus I use two first stages with the hose for dry suit on one and the hose for my bcd on the other (Its all very dir)
and I don nt feel like putting all my hoses on one regulator every time my tank is empty.

Does anyone have any info on these equalizer whips regarding training (if required).

What makes and models are solid state.Oxygen compatibilty is required.

Is there more of a risk of human error using these whips.

What are the general guidelines to using these?

I'm sorry, but I'm really not certain what you're asking.

I regularly use a transfill whip to equalize two tanks, so there's a chance I can answer your question if you'd care to ask again.

pmcnulty:
Does Anyone have any opinions on getting a tank to tank cross over equalizer whip,because I am using a h valve on a single tank (I dive in a cold climate which could mean regulator freeze up which of course is very unlikely,but the h valve would allow me to close the offending regulator save the remaining air and surface).Therfore I need to use my tank and it would be rare to find another tank with a h valve in Ireland plus I use two first stages with the hose for dry suit on one and the hose for my bcd on the other (Its all very dir)
and I don nt feel like putting all my hoses on one regulator every time my tank is empty.

Does anyone have any info on these equalizer whips regarding training (if required).

What makes and models are solid state.Oxygen compatibilty is required.

Is there more of a risk of human error using these whips.

What are the general guidelines to using these?

I'm in the market to buy one of these equalizing hose set-ups. Anyone know where I can purchase one? Doc

Doc,

Leisure Pro has them for $120 to $150 depending on yoke or DIN set up.
There are probably some other sources as well.

Jim

Your post was a little confusing, but I'm thinking that you want to fill one tank using another? That would work, but since it's just a hose running from one tank to another, the full tank would only drain into the empty tank until the pressure was equalized. So basically you would get half a fill. To get more than that you would need either a haskel or a compressor, neither of which are cheap.

Well...given enough full tanks to transfill from you could get very close to a full tank. Actually it is similar to the paradox of Xeno's arrow although the time element does not need to be ingnored for it to actually work in the real world.

With Xeno's arrow you shoot an arrow at a target. If you are X yards from the target, at some point the arrow will be X/2 yards from the target and theoretically you can continue halving the remaining distance to the target an infinte number of times. Xeno's paradox was that if you can continue to halve the distance to the target infinitely, it will always have at least half the remaining distance yet to travel and while the arrow will get infinitely close to the target it can in theory never actually reach it as it will still have half of some infinitely small distance yet to cover. So Xeno postulated that all motion was impossible as you could never really ever get anywhere.

The flaw in the logic here is that as you continue to halve the distance and as the distance gets infinitely small, the time of flight to cover the remaining distance also gets infinfitely small and approaches zero. Almost nothing times almost nothing is still almost nothing so an object at a relatively slow speed times an infinitely small time predictably only produces an infinitely small distance. So much for Xeno's postulate that motion was impossible. Philosophy is a tough line of work.

But I digress...with a transfilled scuba tank, you can get a half tank after transfilling from the first full tank, 3/4 of a tank after transfilling again from a second full tank, 7/8 of a tank after transfilling from the third, 15/16ths after the fourth, 31/32nds after the fifth, 63/64ths after the sixth, 127/128ths after the 7th, etc, etc. So even though you could technically ever get a completely full tank, you could get close. From a practical standpoint you will eventually reach a point where you lose more air in the fill whip during the transfill than you gain from the "full" tank.

Right, but would it really be practical to carry 4+ tanks just to make 2 single-tank dives?

It's a philosophical comment not a practical one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom