Tank Thread Corrosion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brandon

Shop Independent Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey all,

I just received my tanks back from their VIS inspection today, and the inspector noted that I had some very light corrosion on the threads of both of my HP100s. Tanks were otherwise fine, with no other internal corrosion.

I had a few questions...
  • Is this an issue?
  • How would someone go about cleaning the corrosion off the threads?
  • And what causes it? (so I can prevent this in the future)
Other than when I first received them by mail, the tanks have never been stored without air in them. The first 10 fills or so were done with a crappy compressor with questionable air moisture content, but the remainder have been done with a compressor that is regularly tested and exceeds standards for grade E. However, if moisture from the fills had caused the corrosion, I would think it'd be elsewhere in the tank as well...

In thanks,

-Brandon.

Generally dissimilar metal corrosion is more of an issue with aluminum tanks, but it is on the other hand also somewhat self limiting as the outer layer of oxidation seals the metal under it. In a steel tank it is usually not much of a problem, but it is also not a self limiting process as rust tends to attract and hold more moisture, promoting more rust.

In either case mositure is normally needs to be present to help the transfer of ions from one to the other in the oxidation process.

The best prevention is obviously reasonably dry gasses and also using a thread lubricant as a barrier to minimize contact between the different metals in the tank and the valve and to protect the chrome plating on the valve threads.

Christolube is commonly used as it is O2 compatible and does not create issues with nitrox use or partial presure blending. You don't need a lot - an amount equal to the size of a pea is plenty - just distribute it fairly evenly on the first few threads of the valve and before you install it.

I'd also remove what oxidation you can from the tank neck threads using a wire brush. A suitable sized wire brush on an electric drill is probbaly one of the faster ways of removing any existing rust in the threads, but you want to be careful to ensure there are no rust or wire brush particles in the tank when you are done, so be sure to use air through a hose or small diameter metal tube to thoroughly blow out the inside of the tank while holding it up side down when you are done.

You also do not need to torque the bejeezus out of the valve - just a bit past hand tight is fine for a steel tank. More than that just increases the potential to damage the chrome on the threads.

Reactions: Dai
... the inspector noted that I had some very light corrosion on the threads of both of my HP100s
I would be surprised if they didn't.
... Is this an issue?
Not at all.
... How would someone go about cleaning the corrosion off the threads?
Did the inspector not do that? If not, remove the valve, and use a brass brush to clean the threads, then invert the tanks to allow whatever particulate matter might have be brushed off to tumble out, then reseat the valve and have them filled. Or, ignore it altogether. It really isn't an issue.
... And what causes it? (so I can prevent this in the future)
Moisture in the air used to fill them, possibly filling them with moist sea air (salt content).
However, if moisture from the fills had caused the corrosion, I would think it'd be elsewhere in the tank as well...
I am not sure that 'very light' corrosion on the threads and no corrosion elsewhere is a meaningful discrepancy, and is not worth worrying about in any event.

DA,

I agree with the amount you refer to of an Oxygen compatible grease to use on the threads. We have a tank MFG. as a customer that uses Tribolube 71 for this process.

Generally dissimilar metal corrosion is more of an issue with aluminum tanks, but it is on the other hand also somewhat self limiting as the outer layer of oxidation seals the metal under it. In a steel tank it is usually not much of a problem, but it is also not a self limiting process as rust tends to attract and hold more moisture, promoting more rust.

In either case mositure is normally needs to be present to help the transfer of ions from one to the other in the oxidation process.

The best prevention is obviously reasonably dry gasses and also using a thread lubricant as a barrier to minimize contact between the different metals in the tank and the valve and to protect the chrome plating on the valve threads.

Christolube is commonly used as it is O2 compatible and does not create issues with nitrox use or partial presure blending. You don't need a lot - an amount equal to the size of a pea is plenty - just distribute it fairly evenly on the first few threads of the valve and before you install it.

I'd also remove what oxidation you can from the tank neck threads using a wire brush. A suitable sized wire brush on an electric drill is probbaly one of the faster ways of removing any existing rust in the threads, but you want to be careful to ensure there are no rust or wire brush particles in the tank when you are done, so be sure to use air through a hose or small diameter metal tube to thoroughly blow out the inside of the tank while holding it up side down when you are done.

You also do not need to torque the bejeezus out of the valve - just a bit past hand tight is fine for a steel tank. More than that just increases the potential to damage the chrome on the threads.

I recently bought a couple tubes of Tribolube and I have not noted any significant difference between it and Christolube - other than the price difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom