Tank straps on a Zeagle Scout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubawife

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a very hard time with the bottom tank strap on my Scout. It's the non-elastic kind w/ velcro on both sides to adjust the position of the buckle. My husband's Ranger has two of the elastic type tank straps. Can I change out the bottom strap on my Scout? Is it something I could order, or do I have to take it into a Zeagle dealer?

Not quite sure I understand your question, if I remember correctly, the lower strap on my Scout is the same (maybe a little lighter in build)as the one on my Ranger. Mine is just a standard web strap with a cam buckle on it. The only thing the velcro on mine is for is to keep the end secure and not flopping around. Is the problem you are having just that the cam buckle is hard to close? If so, that's a good thing as it makes darn sure the tank is secure, wetting it first will make that a little easier however. If it's too loose (very easy to close) you stand a good chance of the tank slipping out of your BC. The Ranger has 2 bands which make the tightness of them less critical but as the top band on the Scout is really more for stability than keeping the tank in place, the lower band needs to be very secure.As for changing it out, as long as the webbing will fit through the slots in the BC, sure you can change it yourself. If the strap is just a little to tight, I would not change anything, esp if it's fairly new as it will strech a little as it gets used. You can adjust the strap in the buckle for a looser fit which will make it easier to close if you really feel you must. If you make an adjustment to the strap, I would suggest you do so after a dive when the band is wet and stretched after a dive.

You can put a standard tank band on the BC with no problem. The part # is 7119, and any Zeagle dealer can get one for you!!!

Scott

Scott, have you changed the tank band style? My Scout lower band looks exactly like the 2 on my Ranger.

And thanks for the stickers.

We haven't "actively" made the Scout in the last couple of years, but prior to that there were a few different tank bands used on them. It is quite possible that yours (herman) have a standard tank band, while someone else has a "quick release" type, or something even different from that. Some shops tried to "customize" the Scout by putting different styles of bands on it, etc., so it makes it difficult to pinpoint exactly what someone has without seeing it in person or in photos. Regardless of WHAT tank band is currently on ANY BC, our "standard" tank band (part # 7119) will replace it!!!

You are quite welcome for the stickers, Herman, and thanks for jumping in and answering Zeagle questions! You and many other on this board make my job much easier!!!! :wink:

Scott

That explains it. Mine has a standard one on the bottom and a strechy quick release type on top.

Herman - the shop I use sold their own "customized" version of the Scout. I had no idea it wasn't standard until I'd seen a few other divers with very different looking Scouts. I got it in January, 2002. The shop I did my OW with is very tech oriented and big on Zeagle. Believe it or not, they have mostly Rangers as their course BC's... I had no intention of diving in NY or NJ but got used to the back float and wanted something light for travel. The Scout they sold had zip touch weight pockets as well as the rear trim pockets, and the different bottom tank strap. They also had the option of a a couple different shoulder straps in a choice of colors. I've really loved the BC, great fit and performance, awesome for travel, but that strap has always been a pain in the butt.

I had no idea the Scout had been customized that much. It's now clear why I was confused.
I have the stripped down version, weight pockets in the rear, a standard lower band, a strechy quick release one on top and all black. Which was what I wanted, a simple plain BC for travel but it's become my BC of choice most of the time. I looked at mine, it would be quite easy to install a second "standard" type band on the top as well but so far it works fine as is.
Looks like you have your answer and an easy fix.....or you could just steal one off Hubby's Ranger. :)

Hmmm, since he's coming home from a business trip the day before we leave for Hawaii, I'll be packing the gear. I wonder if I could get away with that? Then again, there are two things you don't mess with - his dive gear and his photo & video rigs. I better just visit the LDS on Saturday and order the strap.

Back
Top Bottom