Tank storage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gidds

Contributor
Reaction score
Witness Protection Program (hiding from the MOFia)
Hypothetically speaking lets say I buy my very own scuba tank some time during the next year. Or let's say I rent a couple of tanks on a Friday or Saturday for a weekend of diving and plan to return them Sunday night or Monday. Problem: I live in an apt. and my rental agreement states that I shall not, under any circumstances, keep compressed gas cylinders of any sort IN my apt. or in the house in general on the off chance that I could blow a sizable hole in the building. I of course shamelessly violate this rule by keeping a wee propane cylinder in here so I can boil water if the power goes out during the winter. A wee propane cylinder is easily concealed in my jacket or bag and smuggled into the house. A scuba tank however is NOT. Where am I supposed to keep it?

All suggestions very much appreciated :D

Gidds:
Hypothetically speaking lets say I buy my very own scuba tank some time during the next year. Or let's say I rent a couple of tanks on a Friday or Saturday for a weekend of diving and plan to return them Sunday night or Monday. Problem: I live in an apt. and my rental agreement states that I shall not, under any circumstances, keep compressed gas cylinders of any sort IN my apt. or in the house in general on the off chance that I could blow a sizable hole in the building. I of course shamelessly violate this rule by keeping a wee propane cylinder in here so I can boil water if the power goes out during the winter. A wee propane cylinder is easily concealed in my jacket or bag and smuggled into the house. A scuba tank however is NOT. Where am I supposed to keep it?

All suggestions very much appreciated :D

In your trunk. Unless you live in Hell, I doubt it would get hot enough to do anything to the tanks.

Ok fair enough but where am I supposed to keep it when it gets cold, like when Hell freezes over? It usually stays above -30F here.

-10F is more normal for a low temp. If we are lucky it stays in the teens. That won't hurt the tank? I suppose a tank will make nice ballast for driving in the snow :wink:

Yep, I would just keep them in the back of my car. I have a hatchback so I would keep them covered with a towel or somthing like that, but if you have one the trunk would be just fine.

That being said I am now in an apartment in Southern California and there is no clause in my rental agreement against compressed gas cylinders. The only precaution that I have taken here is to secure them so that in the event of an earthquake they do not fall over. I have Double steel 95's, two E8-130's, an AL80, and an AL40 that is filled with pure oxygen. All of these tanks are within ten feet of the bed and I sleep just fine.

Do you have some sort of outside storage shed or area that you could secure the tanks in? I would keep the tanks behind lock and key only to prevent some innocent Joe from opening the valve and draining away your breathing gas. Chances are pretty good that you would not have a problem bringing in the offending cylinders and putting them in a closet, but I understand that you may not even want to risk it.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

Why not just lay them under your bed?

Mark Vlahos:
I have Double steel 95's, two E8-130's, an AL80, and an AL40 that is filled with pure oxygen. All of these tanks are within ten feet of the bed and I sleep just fine.

I'd move.

BrianS:
Why not just lay them under your bed?

Under the bed is a 6 and 3/4 inch space between the floor and the bed frame, only the AL 40 would fit! Besides the apartment has a giant walk in closet. :)

Mark Vlahos

Rick Inman:
I'd move.

yup..i have 5 tanks in my apartment right now, 3 e7-100s, and 2 al80s...there is nothing in my lease about pressurised tanks

but failing that, in your car should be fine..if anything the pressure in the tanks should drop as it gets colder

Back
Top Bottom