Tank Slippage Problem & Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wet the strap. Don't just dip it like a little tea bag. lay the bc in the water for a few seconds. put the tank on, tighten the band and flip the cam over about 90% with your thumb in there to keep it from going all the way. hold it for a few seconds. slowly release it while holding the tail tight. when it's all the way open cinch up the slack thread the tail through and close. As was said it should thud or snap. if not, open it up again and repeat the last step. This is what we teach every one of our open water students. Can't say what happened before I started helping out but roughly 40 or so students and hundreds of dives later we've never had a report of a tank slipping no matter what bc or tank was used. Have seen alot of them though from other classes that use the same locale we do. I realize now how fortunate I am to have the instructor that I do. So many of these little BASIC problems I've not had to deal with because of how I was taught. That said I am thinking of getting the Apollo lock just because I may have to have rotator cuff surgery and may not be able to pull the band tight enough for awhile. But you can bet that I'll still wet that strap first.

Wayward Son:
Get the band wet before putting it on the tank.

Wetting it works. My tank slipped at first too. Now I bring a large container of water (used to be tide container) and feel with really really hot water. I use the water to wet the band, and wet my hair before the dive (saves the hair) . The water is usually still a bit warm by the end of the dive, and it great for a mini rinse down.

I have never had any tank slippage problems on SP BCDs, even with 130CF tank. I am also using the same type of hinge cam band on BP. It is only $15 each from diveriteexpress.com. Of course, it works great without a slippage.....

I have been wetting the straps and it has worked great - no slips in ~6 dives. I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice and help. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom