Tank Slippage Problem & Options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the help. I am definately going to wet my straps and see if that helps. I am also going to look into the "Cam Strap Tension Pad" - It appears many Scubaboard members had good things to say about them.

Thanks Again!!

They need to stay wet long enough to expand for the soak solution to work. I now have double bands, but when I was renting, I would immediately wet the band and then retighten right before getting in. Worked most of the time.

It does seem that some straps are more prone to this than others. I've seen some BC's that simply must be wet 1st or they'll slip.

But my BC is a Genesis Phantom and it has never slipped once. The 1st time I dove it I put it on dry on purpose, to see if it would hold. It did and always has since. Same thing with my wife's Ladyhawk, it have never slipped.

I have no idea what the material difference is between these bands and those that have the problem.

UB:
I recently bought a Aeris BC with a single band for strapping the tank to the BC. Several times I noticed that the tank began to slip (even though I tighten the strap as much as possible). I am to a point right now where I would like to explore other tank strapping options. Can anyone recommend a solution?

Thanks
A common problem with single-band BCD's. Several good solutions have been offered. Wetting the strap will usually suffice, but not always. Some BCD manufacturers use a nylon webbing that's just too stretchy for that "fix". Tobin's cam band tensioners work well ... and it's a cheap fix.

I would not recommend the tank mesh ... I used them for a while, and came to realize that they sometimes only contribute to the slippage problem. Most of my friends who use them to protect their cylinders during transport remove them before mounting on the BCD.

One other thing is to make sure you're putting the band on straight ... if there's even a slight angle to how it's mounted on the cylinder it will seem tight till you get in the water ... then once the weight load is off the strap it will straighten itself out and be loose.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

also, make sure the buckle is threaded right, if not the strap can slide back through it and loosen

UB:
Any comments on the "ScubaPro Scuba Pro Super Cinch BC Tank Band" as a solution?

I replaced the cam band strap on my Seaquest Balance with the Scubapro strap. Dive Rite sells the same style strap (without the Scubapro "S" on the buckle). I also use these "Super Cinch" straps with my single tank backplate/wings set up. I have never had any tank slip with these straps once adjusted.

One complaint I have heard from my LDS: If you use rental tanks that might vary in size (7.25/8" or have mesh nets/no nets) you will find that you may have to re-adjust the straps length more often. This size adjustment is a little more involved than with a cam band. If you dive with the same size/type tanks all of the time then you can set them and forget them.

Slipping a two inch wide "rubber band" cut from an automobile tire innertube over the tank so it's under the cam band will do the trick. Wallmart still sells innertubes.
Rick

Aeris Reef Rider, single strap. I normally wet it, though on some dives it's not been practical.
Snug it (pull on the end of the web when the cam is open), flip the cam up until it's just short of vertical, then feed the strap through the last cutout in the cam and pull it down. It's important to not have the web fed through that last slot until you've done the bit with the cam-almost-vertical.
Never had a slip problem.
I agree on the mesh protectors -- they're cool for a few uses, then they loosen, you end up taking them off.

I agree on the mesh protectors, I can't get mine to not slip if I use it, I just take it off before mounting tank
Wetting the strap is the most common solution for slippage
Although I have quit wetting my ScubaPro strap on my Knighthawk , that buckle works very well (I still check it every time for slippage though)

DB

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom