Tank refinish need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mopar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two LP 77 tanks. I seen a thread on a tanks refinish and a couple of people recommended a product called ZRC. So I bought a few cans of it and redone my tanks. I had my local quarry fill my tanks a week or so after. They put them in the back of their John Deer Gator on wooden racks. They are always careful with peoples tanks. When they brought my tanks back where the rack wore on the finish it rubbed down to bare metal.

Is their anything better than what I used or did I do something wrong? I called RC before I started. They told me to scuff the tank with a scotch bright lightly and remove any rust. I did that then wiped off the dust and put two coats on waiting 24 hrs between coats.Their site says that two coats are equal to one coat of being hot dipped galvanized. I also seen on their site you have to use 100% Acrylic Enamel to cover the ZRC. If you use any old thing the zinc reaction will cause the paint to blister off.

What have all have the people of Scuba Board done to refinish your tanks? Is ZRC good or should I have used automotive paint? I don't want to sand the tanks down to bare metal because the tank is galvanized. If you have experience on tank refinish please tell me how you did it and your experiences.

I tried painting something (don't remember exactly what, perhaps a scuba tank) with a zinc-type spray paint and it was not durable. I then painted my old steel 72 with Yacht Hull Enamel (oil-base boat paint) and it held up for many years but did get some scratches but was easy to touch up.

I've noticed many tanks for sale that have some sort of wrap. Maybe that's the answer.

The tanks are galvanized under the ZRC should I sand the tank down to bare metal then use a oil based paint to refinish the tank? If I do sand the tank all the way down will lose my galvanized finish under the tank.

The tanks are galvanized under the ZRC should I sand the tank down to bare metal then use a oil based paint to refinish the tank? If I do sand the tank all the way down will lose my galvanized finish under the tank.

I would leave them as is, less is more.
It's best not to play around with tank finish unless there is apparent rust.
Crappy looking tanks rock.:wink:

I would leave them as is, less is more.
It's best not to play around with tank finish unless there is apparent rust.
Crappy looking tanks rock.:wink:

Their was some rust on the tanks. It was surface rust and yes I wish I would have left them alone. Now the ZRC I put on them comes off really easy and reveals bare metal. It never did that before. I did not even sand them to bare metal. Just a light scuff with a scotch bright.

Their was some rust on the tanks. It was surface rust and yes I wish I would have left them alone. Now the ZRC I put on them comes off really easy and reveals bare metal. It never did that before. I did not even sand them to bare metal. Just a light scuff with a scotch bright.

Here is what I would do in that case (better informed people can chime in):

Apply non acidic paint stripper and remove the ZRC using rags to wipe the tanks.
Once done, clean the residue with lacker thinner.

Now you are back where you started.

Remove surface rust, if there is any left, and apply one thin coat of your ZRC.

Since the ZRC will be applied only where needed, it won't be much apparent and less noticeable if scratched. If it happens, a light touch up will keep your tanks happy.

With all that work done your tanks will probably come out looking cleaner than they did before.

One thing to know is that galvanized zinc coatings will self "heal" when lightly scratched. Zinc will migrate over steel in an electrical process, at least for a small surface.

Good luck on your project.

I would not sand it (except for maybe very, very lightly) because I would be afraid of removing the galvanizing. But, as Belmont said. galvanzing purports to have the ability to "self-heal" but I have not personally observed this phenomon. Personally I like the look of the bare, galvanized tanks.

I think the tank I was refering to earlier was not galvanized but I've had it so long I can't be certain. But I really don't think I would have painted it if it was galvanized.

New or cleaned gal is silver. Sanding is bad. Stripper, fine stainless brushes and water and lots of circles is good. Stripper on, stripper off. Stripper on, stripper off.

the best is to coat it with an old school oxide primer, with the roller and after that to put on it white radiator ennamel it will dry out about 18hrs, but those stuff is hard, and cheap

the best is to coat it with an old school oxide primer, with the roller and after that to put on it white radiator ennamel it will dry out about 18hrs, but those stuff is hard, and cheap

It'll probably make your tank less bouyant as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom